Saving pumpkin seeds

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I thought they were dry, but when I put them in a plastic ziplock they start spotting with mildew. How can I save these without mold?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Send them to me and I'll roast them and eat them!!!!!

LOL

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Are you drying them to plant?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The test I use to see if seeds are dry (not just pumpkin seed) is to try to bend one... if it cracks, they are dry enough to bag up for storage... if it bends without breaking, they need to sit out a while longer. If in doubt, store in a paper envelope rather than in plastic.

Yes, I'm trying to dry them to plant. I want the kids to have the experience of growing their own pumkins from the seeds of the ones they used this year. Would dusting them with Sevin affect viabillity?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The Sevin won't affect the viability, but it will do nothing about mold...it's an insecticide rather than a fungicide.

Critter is right, your seeds weren't dry enough. The 'shatter test' is the best way...but I usually leave large seeds out to dry at least 6 weeks..(top of the fridge works good) and as she stated...something breathable rather than a zip-loc is best.

If they are sprouting, then there may not be much you can do...pick out the ones that have not and continue to dry...but they may be too far gone too.

How old are the kids? Little guys won't have a clue if you switch seeds on them. (older 'tweens' may catch on) Just get a variety that looks similar to your pumpkin this year....saved seeds are like rolling dice with pumpkins anyway...if there has been no effort to ensure pure seeds, and several varieties were grown in the same patch, chances are, they'll look different anyway.

Thanks for the tips, I only waited one week intstead of 6! The seeds only have tiny spots of mold on the shell and none sprouted or got mushy so they still might be okay. How about Captan power for dusting? I ordered some pumpkin seeds from a vendor and they came to me dyed a bluish green. Any idea what they used?
Beth

Bumping this up to see if anyone has a comment on my last query.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

There are many different fungicides...no idea. Sorry.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have the Jack be Little and Pie pumpkin seeds I would like to try and dry from Halloween decorations. We also lost several pumpkin seeds from a large Jack o Lantern type to mold. We only waited a couple of weeks. Thanks for the info.

Anyone have a few extra of the Giant types to trade?

Teresa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.