"Monarch Waystation" Butterfly Plant Seed Certification Info

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, dear, doesn't sound good to me, but I'm not any kind of expert--I hope someone responds soon!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Purplepetunia - In all honesty, the chyrsalis or cat turning black does NOT sound good. Out of all the ones that I have raised, about 10-20% also turn black which means they died due to a virus or parasite sometime after they morphed into their chrysalis. Sorry to have to be the one to tell you the sad news. You could wait a few more days to be sure, but chances are it is actually rotting in the chrysalis and may get really nasty smelling after a while. If you can't see the orange on the wings along with the wing design then it has died. Usually when they are getting ready to eclose, the chrysalis literally becomes transparent and you can see the butterfly all curled up inside the chrysalis.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

I agree, the poor thing must have had a virus or something went wrong. In my experience, if they turn black right away, something is wrong.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the replys. this is one that I brought in after we had the 20 degree temps.
it didn't ever form the chrysalis or even go into the "j". It just attached from the bottom and hung, head down. I think I will just break off that catcus stem (even tho it has a beautiful flower) and throw it away. It is on the sun porch and I don't want it smelling.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.