Ginkgo Day in Louisville

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I think Viburnums are overated..except in the spring when they (some) have a wonderful fragrance. Then they just are green shrubs and some have rather nice berries in the fall. A few exceptions but all these native ones suck.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Bob:

Not set up, but I did keep my poker face. Haven't officially been to Mt. Auburn (have only been to Boston a couple times) but I want to. Cave Hill, Spring Grove, and Lexington Cemetery are the "Holy Trinity" of crypt-ic collections.

Mike:

That big old tree is a male, but has a branch with female reversion flowers that fruits annually. I have a seedling from it.

LL:

Rubus-es to you.

Here's some current pics from University of Louisville campus yesterday; Ginkgo biloba 'Abbey Road'.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The students all look like they are in a hurry...perhaps rushing to get somewhere for tonight's big game?

Scott

Greensboro, AL

WAHH! VV! Made my day. Thanks for the images --Ginkgos on a Kentucky day.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

More Ginkgo pictures, please!
Mike

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I think this is the best looking one my area.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I just visited a site in Eastern Washington near Vantage, WA that has 56,000,000 yr old Ginkgo trees. Maybe not the prettiest but definatly some of the oldest. Petrified of course.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

A little bedtime reading for the insatiable types out there. Thank Decumbent for the link.

If you don't quite know what to partner your Ginkgo with, take a cue from:

http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/869.pdf

Greensboro, AL

56,000,000 year old ginkgos! Native American trees! Wonder what the climate was like then?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I wonder who or what was breathing to provide the carbon dioxide they need to live... oO Things that make ya go hum. Oo

The Ginkos are so beautiful, ty for this thread and all the great pictures!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think dinosauers passed ......... well not methane. I suppose there was a lot of co2 due to no oil stored under the earths crust. I always laugh at greenhouse gasses as the cause of global warming. Hmmm maybe we should keep the carbon under ground. Well at least the trees we planted will do well here after us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.