So what makes a Cottage Garden, well, "Cottagey"?

Cedar Hill, TX

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here. Most of my paths are pea gravel. I used landscape fabric under some of them and others I used cardboard. I have preferred the cardboard paths covered with gravel. I was surprised, but I haven't fought grass growing through the cardboard as much as with landscape fabric. Both have worked well for me and weeds are easily pulled from either, but bermuda grass is the biggest problem I have.

I've done the same thing with mulch paths, laying cardboard down, wetting it thoroughly and covering with mulch. I've used the shredded cypress mulch because it is easier to walk on than the bigger hardwood pieces. I replenish the mulch as it breaks down. This fits the style of my cottage (humble dwelling) and I've been very pleased over the past three years of using this method.

The gravel is a lot of work, but I made myself be patient and paced myself so that I wasn't overwhelmed. I don't have a picture of the mulch paths, but will try to get out there and take a couple. It always helps me if I can see something.

Thumbnail by ohsusanna
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Charming, to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Post some more photos, please!

Scottsdale, AZ

diggin_

paths? when I lived in FL., I had pine straw paths in the yard, here no pine straw but a DGer with a home upstate was kind enough to bring me bags and bags on one of her trips back to the valley. I love the stuff underfoot and when it becomes downtrodden, just fluff it with a rake and the loft is back. I don't care for the large bark mulch because it's uneven underfoot and turning my ankle once on it was enough for me.

Scottsdale, AZ

pinestraw link

http://www.geocities.com/shanintia/gardenback.htm

Critter~ you might want to think twice about the bark nuggets. We made a path using the nuggets and everytime it rained moderately those nuggets set sail and would end up all over the yard. Me thought edge them in, it kept them from sailing over the yard,but alas they ended in giant waves of hunks of nuggets here and there against the edgings. Finally ended up putting shredded wood mulch on top of the nuggets to hold those puppies in place. Just my little red cent!

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

critter--I second the opinions above about the large nuggets. Extremely hard to walk on.

I also have found landscape cloth to be unsatisfactory. The weeds still grow, a little more each year. Got to stop for now.

Critter~ one of my neigbors in WA used the concrete pavers and painted hers to look like flagstone then sealed them . Of course they also have the different colored concrete pavers as well, you kow the red brick, pewter and sand colored ones. Less than $2.00 a paver, also if you have a stone outlet or quarry nearby you could self serve and haul yourself. You could also offer to buy the broken flagstones and torn bags of sand from the big box for nearly nothing as my neighbor did. Just a few thoughts.

somewhere, PA

I have to say I've come to hate landscape fabric. weed seeds do eventually germinate in it
and then its impossible to pull them. I would not recommend landscape fabric. My opinion.

Tam

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Ohsusana, I wanna see more pics! That's just a teaser.

Gwen

somewhere, PA

I found some pretty older pictures! I think these are kinda cottagey...

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And a close-up. (Sorry for those that may have seen these before. These are my primroses I
posted a year or two ago on another forum).

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy

Tammy, those are lovely!

Gwen, where've you been? Haven't "seen" you for ages!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, cardboard topped with double-shredded mulch then for the pathways! Thanks for the input!! I'm hoping to replace the mulch eventually with pea gravel (the non-sharp stuff) and pavers or stepping stones, but that will be a gradual thing, and meanwhile it would be good to have the paths such that people other than me know where to walk through the garden! Right now, the paths are pretty much just in my head, so it's "follow the leader" if anybody wants to go into the back part of the garden with me...

I have used landscape fabric in the past, but had decided against it until a friend of mine told me about a much, much better kind she got at Costco - I've seen hers and it's a darn sight stronger, heavier, etc., than what I had bought in the past (and a light brown color, or tan - I kind of forget now). Anyway she used it to line her dry creek bed - which isn't always totally dry! - and so far has had far better luck than I ever had with the other stuff. In the meantime, I use cardboard and/or thick, thick layers of newspaper. I've used the big nuggets simply because they were extremely inexpensive (cheap is probably a better word in this case), but they don't last nearly as long as I would like. I have used them most recently around some stepping stones that my brother gave me which I had set on top of the ground . . . didn't feel enough energy to dig a spot for each of them. We'll see how long they last when they aren't being walked on (just the stepping stones will be).

Cordele, GA

Re: the caged crow and squirrel

I have seen crows killing and eating nestling birds and squirrels. It is possible the squirrel was a female with a nest near by. They are very territorial and very protective of their young. It is not unusual to see small birds mobbing solitary crows in the same fashion that crows will mob raptors.

Beth

Scottsdale, AZ

I dunno, just remember being broken hearted at his death.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I hate to see anything die. Except fireants. But it does hurt when you have a relationship with an animal, including just having helped one out.

BUT back to the subject, what is our bottom line list? I'd start with:

paths
rooms
borders
focal points
variety
food
an animal

what else?

Thornton, IL

fragrance
something blooming in every season

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

When I started the thread, I strated keeping track of what people said, so I coud post it either on a sticky, in the header, in the top of the thread or here....here it is,

Suzy

DESIGN

Generally speaking, a Cottage Garden uses curve instead of straight lines; or curves within straight lines.

It has grass, or a path, to lead the eye.

There is an absence of any pretentious plan; a cross between formal and messy. Balance the perfect topiary with a forsythia.

The plants should be allowed to grow into each other so it is just a riot of colour, shape and texture. No perfection is expected and all the happy accidents just seem to work together.

A little mystery. One shouldn't be able to see the entire garden at once. A little curving stepping stone path around the birdbath to a hidden bench or courtyard.

The surprise factor. One should have to walk around that curve to see -- oooh! a birdbath! An obstacle at eye level such as an obelisk with a climbing or rambling rose or a small shrub (eye-level height) might be used.

At least one resident animal: Chicken, peafowl, cat or dog. A CG is a natural habitat to butterflies, birds and other wildlife because of the abundance of different kinds of plants used as food and forage. Purposefully including some larval host plants will attract even more. Bunnies are welcome as long as they only munch on clover especially planted for them.

Other elements of a more structural nature:

Structures. An arbor entwined with climbing rose is a classic cottage garden image. Add a bench, a rustic gate, stone or brick path, birdbath and flower containers like window boxes, clay pots, stone troughs or tubs. Aim for simplicity, though--it's easy to cross the line into kitsch.
from an article by Claire Hagen Dole, Publisher/editor of Butterfly Gardeners' Quarterly. Summer 1995. Back issues available from BGQ, PO Box 30931, Seattle, WA 98103.
http://butterflywebsite.com/articles/bgq/CottageGarden.htm

Use arbors, trellises, fences &/or hedges to create the little rooms or zones to your Cottage Garden. One zone could be a pond or other water feature.

~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~

A Cottage Garden should be interactive garden, welcoming the viewer to walk the paths, touch the lamb's ear, smell the herbs and blossoms, observe the butterflies and bees up close. Cottage Gardening is a style that encompasses the 5 senses, not just to be viewed from the road.

Two different styles, both are Cottage Gardens:

Extravagant Abundance; the feeling of lushness barely kept in check -- climbing roses or berry vines rambling together with Clematis, but might also have Rudbeckia and Solidago.

Cottage Prairie: Native plants, which are hardy and appropriate to the region's style might include Solidago and Rudbeckia, but might also have rosa rugosa and red raspberries. This style is characterized by native plants and grasses and a feeling of self-sufficiency.

Either of them would likely have climbing and shrub roses instead of perfectly pruned hybrid tea roses.

~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~~~~~^~

PLANTS AND PLANTINGS

Flowering trees and shrubs - deutzia, forsythia, and if they're fragrant like Viburnum or shrub roses, then all the better. Flowering shrubs such as Buddleia, lilac, mock orange, Viburnum, holly, Flowerin vines such as honeysuckle or clematis. Taller self seeding and low maintenance perennials like Hollyhocks, Foxglove, Delphiniums, Phlox, Larkspur, and Campanula. Texture and variety are essential

Choose some loose-growing, less formal looking plants... maybe a few things that form tidy mounds or archetectural spears, but also plants like Guara, which tosses little blooms every which way on wiry stems making "fillers" between more tidy or large-flowered specimens.

Plants which are grown very close together. In theory they are meant to look as if they were put together at random, without any real plan behind them, but in reality it takes a certain amount of thought to create a garden that looks entirely natural.

A stretch of lawn makes a "sea of green" which leads the eye. Or a path can do the same.

Consider the Scent: Lilies, Dianthus, Petunias and other scented flowers will enhance the garden.

Continuous bloomers are nice for color all summer and on into fall, but a CG is the one garden style that can support all colors, not look ragged even when something is past its prime because so much else is going on.

No garden is ever truly finished; experiment, learn from mistakes, and have fun.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2006 1:25 AM

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Nice job Suzy!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Thanks Suzi, a lurker here... ~Blooms

Thornton, IL

Great summary Suzy!

Thanks all -- Of course, I just used what other people wrote, so it wasn't all that much of an effort. LOL!

I haven't heard from any of the people whose posts I used, but I guess it's about finished. I'll put it up on the top post so people reading will have an easier time of it.

Suzy

This message was edited Dec 11, 2006 1:28 AM

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Tammy your photo " ancient rose of sharon " from Nov 29 th. WOW is Gorgous !

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Suzy ! - I'll make a final appearance to say that I agree with your findings and summary. I am not intentionally a cottage gardener, but a lot of the elements are common sense and based on traditional values.

best of luck all gardeners
Al

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Good job Suzy, of putting it all together. That's a lot of sorting and typping.

Fragrance! I have roses, but never had the ''walk by and they smell heavenly'' ones. I have to sniff each one. I only buy those that say ''heavy scent'' too.

Oriental lilies, better. Now I need to get them to bloom at different times.

Dainthus, get on your knees. I don't feel I need to have my butt in the air since the bed faces the road. I'll have to sacrafice a bloom.

Mock Orange, mine's just getting started.

Lilacs. I tore my light blue ones out and haven't replaced them yet.

What else smells ''heavenly''?

Billy,

I was given the hint to get climbing roses or shrub roses that grow to nose level (5'0 tall) to get fragrance I could smell walking past. They also offered the opinion that 'Double Delight' is one Hybrid Tea that could be detected.

Get some Orienpets and some Trumpets and you'll have about 6 weeks of fragrance once the plants have a couple years in the ground. Trumpets bloom first, then Orienpets and Orientals bring up the rear.

Dianthus -- naw, just plant it on your patio where you normally sit in a chair and you'll smell it, especially at night. Or you could try Sweet William -- a biennial that blooms early and gets 18-24" tall. Put it on the patio, too.

You're in Texas -- Star Jasmine (not actually Jasmine) and Jasmine both should be hardy there. Also, you can grow the paperwhite hybrids called Tazettas. (Narcissus family) I would only plant one or two on the patio to make sure you like them! I think they are hardy to zone 7; not sure if they are any hardier or not. Breeders have made great strides in these in recent years. Narcissus jonquilla can be grown anywhere, the flowers are small, but they pack a BIG punch in the fragrance dept. B&B has them for sale in fall.

Petunias -- I don't really like the scent, but it screams SUMMER to me.

Supposedly Sweet Peas and Four O'Clocks, but next year will be my first for Sweet Peas and I've never smelled four o'clocks here. I'm trying them on the patio because of the plant habit, so if there is fragrance, I should know next summer.

I love the scent of tulips!

We should probably use the last 2 posts for the start of a new thread on fragrance -- ok with you?

Suzy

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Suzy

If you want fragrance............................... try planting night scented stocks...........................yummmmmmmmmmy!!!!!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Has anyone mentioned rosemary yet? Or are we sticking to floral stuff?

Thornton, IL

Nicotiana smells like Old Spice to me, or mens aftershave. Love it!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I think any scent that appeals is something we might want to try ourselves.

Suzy, I'm ok with a fragrance post. 5' or nose level is maybe why I like tall flowers overall! :))

Thornton, IL

Sally - How tall are you? Ha hahaha! I also like agastache, but it only smells if you brush against it.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm agastache..................... gorgeous!!!!!

Go to the new thread on Fragrance: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/677701/

Suzy

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Can we link a new cottage too. I'm slow. (Dial-up.)

I'm 5'6'' but I think I'm shrinking already. I have got to get back into Yoga!

I love Agastache. My new baby Desert Sunrise.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Yes, but I don't know what thread you mean. This one? It's pretty well finished. Let's just go on to the fragrance one. (If that's what you meant)

Suzy

Thornton, IL

Sally - Let me know how Desert Sunrise does for you, I've been eyeballing it, LOL.

He means this thread is taking a long time to load........................... can you carry it on in a new thread

New thread started here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/677729/

Suzy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.