Anyone WS in 2qt juice containers?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm saving the 64 fl oz /2qt size orange juice containers for winter sowing. Has anyone used them or will be using them? They are the ones with the pour spout w/screw on/off cap. I'm going to make a half way around cut below the spout to put the soil in, sow the seeds then close the cut, leaving the cap off. Does this sound like a good idea?

Deborah

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I think that should work just fine.

Huntington, WV(Zone 6a)

Do you mean the cardboard juice containers? Because the cap opening won't provide enough light alone. I used them successfully last year, but just cut the top off entirely and covered w/plastic wrap. It was very easy to drill the holes in the bottom, although this year I'll use a larger bit -- the holes clogged pretty easily and the containers got waterlogged.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm so glad to hear from someone with experience using the orange juice containers. I was wondering about the spout allowing enough light. I'll try the drill bit too. I was planning on just using an ice pick.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Sorry, I thought your were asking about the clear plastic jugs Cordeledawg. My bad!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

You could use the cardboard ones if you cut the top off completely, then use plastic or saran wrap as a cover, secured with a rubber band or string.

Karen

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

The one's I'm using are cardboard. The kind that has a plastic coating. I do have some water jugs like KatyMac mentions but not alot. Have tons of the cb orange juice though but didn't know to cut off the top and add plastic wrap. Godd to know about the rubber bands too. I was wondering how I'd keep the plastic on.

Huntington, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, the ones I did with rubber bands had mixed results -- many of the rubber bands broke with all the changes in temperature! I used small pieces of duct tape to hold it in place, or to supplement the rubber bands, on some of them -- that seemed to work really well. Otherwise, I had no problems with the juice containers, and really liked using them because they are something I cannot recycle otherwise.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, rubber bands will disintecrate due to the fluctuating temps. So, either you'll have to keep an eye on them and replace any rubber bands that have gone a.w.o.l., by using string or duct tape to secure the plastic covering in place.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.