Amaryllis

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I had posted about red spots on mine earlier this year...I just received shipments from two different sources and almost all of these bulbs have the red on them in places. I also noticed that most of the ones in the stores have the red spots, is this a normal thing for Amaryllis.....in the other post I was told it was a disease of some kind and the ones I have outside that had the red did have ugly red on the leaves that looked to be some type of fungus or something eating the leaves...I didn't know if I should treat all of my new ones before planting them or not ...or if it is just a "thing" they all do...thanks for any knowlege you have to pass on..
JanetS

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I found this site..my question is how do I tell if it is injury from possibly digging them, or if it is the "disease"
http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/fdacs/Cir162.htm
I am off to get pots and sand...hopefully someone will advise...thanks

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

It is hard to say specifically what caused the red places on your bulbs since Hippis react to damage with red staining. Lots of tiny little spots on the bulb scales may be from Tarsonemid mites or other mite damage. Mites are a common pest in commercial operations and the wounds they produce open the bulb up to subsequent infections of fungi such as the dreaded "red blotch", Stagonospora cutisii as well as other fungi that can result in red staining.

I have just examined some new bulbs of Dutch hybrids and the old dried scales show lots of dark red textured areas, but after removing the scales, underneath they look unblemished. There doesn't appear to be any of the staining on the roots, so I'm hoping there won't be any problem.

In season, I see small red spots occasionally, and though never being certain of their cause, I usually treat several times a season with a systemic fungicide. My plants are grown in the open where rain may wet them and any spores in the area may blow in and sprout, so it is part of a preventive measure.

Some sources say that treating a new bulb with fungicide can adversely affect the bulb and some say that new root growth can be inhibited. So--it might be better to dust with powdered sulfur and do what you can to avoid fostering any fungi, by watching your watering, warm temps when moist and good air and light. Later on, when the foliage has fully emerged and matured somewhat, you might apply a systemic fungicide that will help as both a preventative and a cure if needed.

Since mites are prevalent pest, you might look into a good approved insecticide to control or eradicate them if you suspect they are present.

Robert.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Robert, I read on another site about soaking them for thirty minutes in 104 degree water, so I did that before potting the up and pulled off any of the really red damaged looking areas...I also had several with bulblets on them that I removed, since I had read the bulblets might cause them not to flower, because of energy going to produce the bulb...so I put all the babies in pots too...not sure what they will do, but I figured I may as well give it a try...lol Thanks again for your response...I am bone weary now...potted up seventeen amaryllis today...that was a big job for me. Have a great evening!
Janet

Wowsers! 17 new amaryllis? Super!

I haven't yet had to resort to the hot water treatment, seems that this pest isn't a problem for me here so far. I'm thinking that having my bulbs in lots of sun during the summer might be heating them up enough! Wouldn't be surprised on some of our 95+F days that the bulbs reach a very discouraging high for mites.

Can't wait to see your pix when they start to flower!

Robert.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are some of my Minerva I had blooming last year..at Christmas and after...I planted them in the garden so I won't have them inside this year...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

This is a red one noid I had inside last year as well, it bloomed in December and the another shoot in February...

Thumbnail by JanetS

Nice!

Keep 'em coming!

R.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice red on the second pic Janet. Now that's a great holiday bulb! =)

I generally ignore the red spots and it's never become a problem. As others have said, they are common.

Mobile, AL

I think that if bulbs are grown strictly indoors, the red marks may indicate a problem.

Mine spend the majority of the year outside, and I can tell you that the strong winds of hurricanes/tropical storms, huge fallen trees, an unusually long drought, and many other factors including insect damage can cause red marks and streaks on the leaves and bulbs.

For the most part, I don't worry and will not unless the damage becomes extensive and starts spreading amongst the bulbs. I have not seen that, but I have seen red marks whenever there have been injuries or insect damage.

I like Robert's idea of using a systemic product. I should try that.

I agree with HS and andi that there are many causes of red marks, especially in the form of dots, to assume that it is "red blotch" ("RB") and become unduly alarmed. However because of the destruction that "RB" can wreak, early treatment can work wonders. I understand that "RB" is hardly ever fatal to a bulb, but why risk having it spread to your other plants?

This summer I observed occasional spots that while sometimes numerous, never became larger than pin-heads and so hardly resemble the pix at http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/fdacs/Cir162.htm . Perhap they were due to insects or some fungus with a limited growth period (due to environmental factors?) or perhaps that was the extent of the damage of another fungus.

There just isn't enough good information and clear color pictures of the various forms of "red blotch" and other fungi on Hippis! Lots more pictures are needed to distinguish fungal infections from other things that might cause red spots on leaves. Pictures of the progression of the blotch itself as it grows on a leaf. And so on.

I don't know if it was red blotch or not, but 2 years ago, a scape of one Hippi had a bad reddish "bruise" on the stem which eventually rotted through and I lost the scape before seeing a bloom. There were other signs that "RB" was afoot, on the bulb scales and leaf edges. I have been working to "cure" this bulb and with mite treatments, fungicide and careful culturing, the bulb is doing much better now and it might be close to being completely "healed". I will continue to watch this bulb in particular for signs of mites and blotch. During extended periods of rain, I have moved my plants to a covered porch to lessen the danger.

BTW: Bulb mites like things cool and moist--spider mites like it hot and dry.

Robert.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks..like I stated I potted 17 up today...plus a few little bulbs from some of them...I actually have fourteen different ones this year, so I am very excited to see them all in bloom....I chose a lot of the white and pink ones, a lemon lime, a couple in the orange family, exotica, and a couple of doubles as well, they are all named, so when they bloom I will share with you! I can't wait....six to eight weeks will go by before we know it...Also I have several pots of Christmas cactus this year, some are starting get buds now, so I am really thrilled about that, they will be from cuttings I received from a dger!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a post I made when my Minerva, which I put outside started to get the red stuff..lol..I just took the leaves off as they looked really bad, didn't dig them up, decided to spray and wait till next bloom season to see if that helps.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/647324/
I got some really good advise then...I just wasn't sure about this since I seemed to have some "red" something or other, on just about all of the ones I received...I guess I was paranoid from the other problem...hoping it wasn't the same..

You're a good caring plant parent, Janet! Some folks hardly give a second look till their plants are about to croak from one thing or another. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

LOL, I rang in on that one too! Forgot all about that. :-D

Robert.

PS: I came across some discussion *somewhere* where someone pointed out that sharp sand way down in the neck of the bulb could scratch the tender emerging leaves and that would leaves thin red marks too.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2006 7:08 PM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Janet, I see you've done some good research and gotten great help here re: red on bulbs. I wish I had thought of suggesting to you that you take pics, that could be used in case blooms/leaves are diseased, we could contact source for restitution of some sort. Having said this, I don't expect you'll have troubles.

Your link talks about red on leaves, not on bulbs. I know red on leaves is bad news.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Nery,
Thanks. I think I just got over protective..LOL..so much of an investment. But when I realized almost everyone had "red blotches" or red stains on them, I thought it must be common reasons, but I just didn't want to take any chances. The Minerva I planted in the yard were beautiful when I had them inside last year. Then when the new foiilage came out it did have the red streaks and the foilage really suffered. This of course really made me worry....I thought I had brought some horrible fungus into my garden on the bulbs. Anyway, I did do the hot water soak on all of them and peeled off any tissue that looked suspicious, so I feel confident I did all I could to be sure they were healthy. I really think I over did it, but it made me feel better just the same..LOL I hope the ones outside will bloom this Spring without any more of the streaking. I will also remember to tell hubby to keep the sprinkler away from those...Have a wonderful Sunday everyone! Thanks for all of the support and good advice!
Janet

raydio-

I'm curious what fungicide you apply when you do so.

Andi~

In spring I used up what was left of some "Funginex" and when that was gone (about the time my Hippis and other plants leafed out ) I used "Orthenex" (as it is called in the US) which is a fungicidal / insecticidal combination.

Both are under the "Ortho" products label. I could check the label if you want to know what's in the "Orthenex" cocktail.

It has been an effective spray for insects and fungi at in one go, and is very convenient since I do apply both.

Robert.
PS For just anti-fungal effects, I have used "Fungonil" by Bonide and found it very effective too.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2006 2:19 PM

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is my first bloom, they are growing so fast you can almost watch them climb! This is Dancing Queen it just started opening today...it has two flower stalks, this is the first one to begin opening..

Thumbnail by JanetS
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

My first one should open this week.

Sorry Janet, but your flower isn't Dancing Queen :(

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Any idea which one it might be...I didn't think it looked like the pictures...maybe I got it mixed up when I was watering them...I marked them on the bottom of the saucers....Could it be Lady Jane? Sorry for the wrong information posting...guys...I hope I have just mixed up when watering, I will keep track and see which ones actually look like their pictures...

Janet~

Kniph is right and whatever that bulb is isn't even close to Dancing Queen. It doesn't fit any of the hybrids I know, so I can't tell you what it is.

It's pretty, though

Robert.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, when it started opening I thought the same thing...I did see that Dancing Queen is Coral and white though, and thought maybe once it opened completely it would be more like the picture...like I said, I guess once the rest open, I will see if it was my mistake, or I just got the bulb mislabeled from the supplier....the Dancing Queen looks like it has a lot more White in the bloom....

Janet~

The placement of the colors is entirely wrong. DQ has none of the "classic" veining (as in 'Cocktail', 'Minerva', 'Piquant' etc. on the lower third of the tepals as your shows.

It's not bad, but it might be a bit of what some call a "mongrel" or a cull from a strain or hybrid group that doesn't live up to the ideal for the type. I would hope that the doubling would be more pronounced giving an overall fullness to the bloom rather than being somewhat isolated-looking as with 'Jewel'.

It comes across on my monitor as more salmon than red (and the flash may be affecting the color) but if it were red, it might be a sister to, say, Minerva, with a little something extra.

Doubling in Hippis can be quite variable (and unstable) and can be affected by temperature and all the other variables that go into growing one, so perhaps the doubling will be better in subsequent scapes, even a year or two down the road.

Maybe but checking your source for this one, you might be able to narrow the ID down, but if they aren't directly connected with the commercial source (the "grower") the mistake may have been passed along to them unknowingly. As has been discussed in other threads, it can result in a dead end as far as finding out anything more about how you got this bulb over what you ordered.

Good luck!

Robert.

PS Here's my DQ from last season.

Thumbnail by raydio
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you for so much information. Dancing Queen is just beautiful! I hope I do have that one in the seventeen I ordered...LOL But if not I will have to add her to the collection. I hope the rest are true to what I thought I was ordering though..that would be a reall bummer to have paid so much and not get the ones I want! Will keep you posted though...it's funny, I thought about Minerva when it opened too...since I have that one, and love it...but this bloom is not as pretty to me...maybe the next scape with be fuller and show more of whatever it is supposed to be....

Good luck Janet and I do hope you have a real DQ. It is one of my alltime favorite doubles.

Robert.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes how annoying to have bought DQ and gotten something totally different. Fingers crossed for you Janet that it's in another pot..

Like Robert it's one of my favorite doubles and really has to be seen to be believed.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

That's a pretty pic, Kniph. Just a lush and lovely celebration--boom--like fireworks or a glimpse of the many ruffles and frills under a can-can dancer's skirt!

Ooh la-la!

R.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

dang! I think my DQ is wrong, too.........sorry to say.......very different from your pix! Oh, well, I only purchased 3 amaryllis this year, hopefully the other 2 are correct.

Erin

plantnut~

:-((( This happens way too often!!!!!!

Let the seller know and maybe you can work it out.

Robert.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Erin, where did you get your Dancing Queen...I don't remember where mine came from...it was one of the co-ops but not Van Engelens...were you in another Amaryllis co-op...mine came from the ones that were leftover after the co-op...can't think who I got them from even...;( maybe I will remember later though..senior moments and MS don't work well together..LOL

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

I got mine from an off-DG co-op....the person running it had been extremely praiseworthy while on DG so I can only assume that the problem was her supplier. Feel free to contact me privately for info.

P.S. I call mine 'Blonde Moments' or 'Brain Farts.'

I absolutely REFUSE to admit to senior moments at the young age of 45.

:)

Erin

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Janet this is the Red Lion that I bought in the Spring at the Nashville Lawn and Garden Show.
NOT! It is still a lovely plant. I also have the old fashioned orange ones. They have lots of little bulblets but all are looking so legging this season. Do you use grow lights? Well, I cannot get the picture to load :(
Teresa

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Nope I just potted them up, didn't water till new growth started..they only get diffused light from my windows which have curtains on them too...I don't know the name of this one, but it is pretty, they are all pretty...just wish it WAS DQ!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Here it is. I got it to load. I also have Apple Blossum maybe. I haven't seen it bloom.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is pretty..any idea of the name, or if they are wrong is it real hard to find out what they are?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

That is my RED LION. Do you have very many varieties?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I do, my older ones are heirlooms from my grandmother...they are a beautiful red, I also have a pretty pink one that I've had for several years, then last year I got Minerva and Red Clown (I believe) they are outside this year...this year I purchased 14 different varieties, but my DQ isn't DQ, so I am hope the ones I got from that deal ARE what they are supposed to be...I got mine from three different sources this year. As they bloom I will post pictures, and hopefully names..LOL

When you said it was Red Lion I thought you were kidding, because you put NOT...sorry...:)

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey ya'll,

I am so ecstatic that I now have an heirloom variety too. I went home to NC for Thanksgiving and was given a couple of bulbs and bubils from my great Aunt. She's 95 years old and has been growing this plant for at least 30 years. She said that she's shared countless divisions of it throughout the years. We are not sure of the variety, but she says the flower is red, so I'm going to assume it's Red Lion. Seems to be one of the ones that have been around for at least 30 years, right? :)

And, Janet, my bulbs from B&Bs came yesterday, while I was planting up the loot from NC. LOL I had just finished planting up the heirlooms and was about to plant up the Appleblossom when the doorbell rang. When I answered, there stood the UPS guy with a small box in his hands.:) The bulbs, Dancing Queen and Blossom Peacock, were free of ANY signs of red and were big and healthy looking. The invoice had a little pencil-written 'Thank-you' and smiley face. I really appreciate little things like that in the way of customer service. Will shop there again(maybe in a few days, LOL).

It's funny because I also thought, "That's not Red Lion" when I looked at BGM's picture. LOL I had to scroll up to see if I missed something and, like you, missed the "NOT" part. LOL BGM- do you think that unnamed variety is 'Clown'??? It's very pretty, whatever it's name.

I don't have a lot of Amaryllis(yet!!), but have the following: 'Elvas', 'Papillio', 'Red Lion', 'Royal Velvet', 'Lemon Lime', 'Apple Blossom', 'Dancing Queen' and 'Blossom Peacock'. The cheapest one of these was the 'Apple Blossom' for $4.94 at my North Carolina Wal-mart. Yahoo!!!!!!!

Janet, what varieties did you get this year? Oh, meant to tell you- I marked my pots at the bottom(not underneath) in pencil. I remembered that you'd marked yours underneath, but by the time I remembered, I had the dang bulbs and dirt already in the pots! So, I settled for penciling in the names on the bases of the pots. Thanks for the idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.