November 1Fall Color

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The same azalea tonight

Thumbnail by claypa
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have never understood the dislike of Spirea. Is it just that they grow beautiful without anyone having to do anything and we make fun of their spectacular spring, summer, and fall color. What is that one called Bill. I unlike you super men of garden delights still humbly seek out those spireas that need good homes.
Oh and that Hammilis seedling. I am getting 2 Arnolds and can't wait till they bloom late feb.
Snow on my korean acer.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Just a simple Acer Saccharum from my soon to be sugar bush.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2006 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Peoria, IL

Hey Sofer,

I'm guessing that you meant A. saccharum since that's what the foliage looks like. When we were kids, my brothers and I would tap the large sugar/black maples around our house. One year we decided the flow wasn't enough and tried some silver and norway maples. They bled like crazy but the syrup tasted horrible!

Ernie

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Most of my dislike for Spireas is the bad contrast between the foliage and the flowers on many of the varieties, especially the ones over-planted around here (Goldmound I think), especially in commercial districts.

Mine are Goldflame which I bought for under-planting a Redbud where I thought the spring foliage of the Spirea would work well against the flowers of the Redbud and the fall colors would also contrast well. I did remove the spent flowers fairly quickly as they did clash against the foliage if I remember correctly. I figured if I didn't like them, they wouldn't be heart wrenching to toss. I do like their color, so they are keepers for now.

Bill

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

trees

Thumbnail by levilyla
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jap. maple

Thumbnail by levilyla
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I want to go up to the bench behind the JM and sit and view the beauty while sitting in the sun. Thank You Levilyla.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

thank you.....but no sun anywhere around because of all those (beautiful) trees.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sofer,

If you lived in someplace resembling, say, civilization, you too would be in the anti-spirea camp. They are SO over-used! That is my main complaint. I'm just tired of seeing them, especially--it seems--the ugliest of them, the afore-mentioned "Goldmound," which is seemingly the one planted the most!

I have seen a few that I like okay. The one called "Ishibashi," or something like that, is all right. "Mellow Yellow" was very cool in a container. I imagine it looks fine in the garden. There was one Kneevin liked, which I've forgotten the name of now, which I'm sure would appeal to me because everything Kneevin likes is really good.

Scott

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I will 2nd Mellow Yellow as being a good Spirea, although it lacks any appreciable fall color. I almost forget that I have one, as it faces my neighbors property and is behind some miscanthus. If everything Kneevin likes is so great, then why are my Viburnums just staring at me all fall and not changing colors in the slightest?

Bill

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

If you talk mean about them, Bill, you'll be condemned to have the Juglans/Tetradium/Gymnocladus fall color curse.

Every viburnum Kneevin gave me (that I didn't kill) has turned out boffo. Spiced Bouquet™ korean spice; 'West Olive' doublefile; 'Wavecrest' siebold, and the Deam arrowwood all perform respectably.

Which ones have you got? Maybe we need to work up a trade...

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ok Goldmound what is wrong with these? I know that they are goldflame but still they are quite spectacular in the spring, early summer and fall. Now I agree that there are others but not here in the cold Montana wilderness. Pooor Meeeee, I am sooooooo limited to poooooor plants. LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I only have a Chicago Lustre, Autumn Jazz, and a couple compact cranberry bush. The Trilobums weren't too bad for color and it is their first year in the ground. The Autumn Jazz is also in its rookie year so I will give it the benefit of the doubt. The Chicago Lustre is all over the board. I bought it 3 autumns ago and it had great color, but has been going downhill as far as color is concerned since. Now a lovely green. No more Viburnums here until I make a new bed. Then we can talk, maybe. They will be competing for coveted space with conifers, japanese maples, and other unique trees & shrubs.

Poor Sofer, look what he is stuck growing. Somebody get the man a Parrotia, quick. Maybe you can limb-up the Parrotia and underplant with the Spirea. :)

Bill

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh no I want to see legs! no underplantings. Maybe some cimicifuga or other soft lines but no more spirea. Bill your are cruel and so not understanding of the battle of zone 4. Wait till you see the perfect Parrotia specimen I soon recover from my trip to seattle tomorrow.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I joke, I joke. Obviously my disdain for Spirea only runs so deep, as I have two myself. I posted the Parrotia at my library on your thread. I can only imagine Z4. I think I have problems with dreams of Z6 trees.

Bill

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Bill:

Functional and durable, the three you list. Inspirational -- another matter. ChiLust has gone quite a pink range for me (at least two years worth); don't grow the cranberrybush crowd (they hate our heat/humidity); and AutJaz has "fruitcake" fall foliage (mostly yellowish "cake" with sprinklings of red, orange, purple, green, and brown).

Maybe limb up your Japanese maples and pendulous conifers (wouldn't want to hide bark character for centuries) and quit wasting space. What're you afraid of?

You just need more property, it sounds like, or to co-opt neighbors or......public land. Use those powers of persuasion and plant them where you work. I'd say you'd have limitless opportunity to then extend beauty around the community.

Great color on the Euonymus atropurpureus as well as on the Viburnum dentatum Indian Summer™, Quercus macrocarpa To Die For™, unnamed Acer palmatum cultivar, Kamagata, and Koto No Ito.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Great Idea Vaccinea Vibriousus. I shall borrow my neighbors sattelite dish and lay it over the Acer palmatum var. dissectum and cut away. YES! Such clean edges. Brilliant.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

VV - I did have a couple of viburnums from one of your pollinator lists that I was going to use in the future bed. When I get to that point, I will post about them to see if they are the inspirational ones. I also might need another Trilobum for cross pollination. My neighbors have 2 but they are pretty far from mine. I will see next year if I get a decent fruiting (mine were planted in June/July so no chance to test my neighbor's potential).

I have used Viburnums at work since they do fit the bill for some of the harsh conditions we throw at them.

No comment on butchering grafted material to fit Viburnums.

Bill

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

That's 'Tor' Scott, which I still really like. It has WHITE flowers, blue green foliage, and red/orange fall color. It got front sidewalk real estate, which speaks to its coolness, at least for me. Is the other one you are describing the cut leaf version? I like that one's foliage too, but the pink flowers make me hurl.

Bill, Bill, Bill--you just happened to have picked a couple of what I consider the worst fall color V. dentatums. I think 'Autumn Jazz' is not jazzy at all. It's yellow, with some hints of other colors, sometimes. No jazz for me. Chicago Lustre--never have seen any color here. The Chicagoland Grows bulletin on it says "Fall Color
Insignificant. Occasionally light yellow with orange tints." You just need different plants! If I had a small yard, I would not dedicate 2 12X12 areas to those Viburnums. I will be taking your order when I go to Classic Viburnums again.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

The Lustre was purchased 3 years ago before I knew squat about Viburnums. I figured since it had good color at the nursery then I might be ok. The Jazz I thought would be decent for the colors but I guess I am wrong here as well (stupid catalog descriptions). They are fillers currently, so I am not opposed to tossing them. I am open to suggestions on replacements and willing to help fill Kneevin's truck.

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.