November 1Fall Color

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Now the late season fall color begins. Despite rain, I got a few shots today of some decent fall color. First up, Taxodium disthichum.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Liriodendron tulipifera.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This tulip poplar didn't quite have the same intense color of that last one, but this is a tree I've admired for years. Note how low to the ground it is branched, and how narrow it is.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I do not know which Acer palmatum cultivar this is. The tree is on private property, but I got permission to take a few pictures. The next few pictures will be of this exceptional tree.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Foliage of previous tree.

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Foliage from beneath from the previous tree.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

A few shots from my own Acer palmatums. This one is Garnet.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kamagata.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kamagata again, with Salix yezo-alpina lower left, Cupressus glabra arizonica to the right, and Calicarpa dichotoma to the back.

Scott

Edited to add: Cryptomeria "Yoshino" far left. Acer japonicum "Attaryi" center-ish. Maybe a mugo pine of some kind center left-ish. Chamaecypris pisifera "Gold Dust", I think, back right.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2006 6:25 PM

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Koto No Ito. Someday, this will be a big, amazing plant!

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Close up of Koto No Ito foliage.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Check out the color of this Hamamelis seedling. It's not a great picture, but I think it does show the vivid pink of the top foliage, to mid-level saturated red, to lower level yellow.

scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Okay, that shot failed to show the saturated red, so here it is.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Finally, Leucothoe racemosa. Thanks for indulging me this much.

Oh, and I did take some shots, which I will spare you, of Viburnum nudum still if fall color. My first shots of V. nudum in fall color were taken on September 24th. So that is like five weeks of fall foliage and STILL going! What a great plant!

scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Since I'm still at work, I can download some quickies.

Just in, hot off the presses, native tree seedlings in full glory.

Northern red oak (Quercus rubra)...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Bur oaks (Quercus macrocarpa) on parade...

Did anyone note the individual (stage left) in the last pic?

Quercus macrocarpa To Die For™

Eau Claire, WI

Don Shadow?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Scott,
I have a seedling that I dug out of a bed next to my house that matches your Hamamelis seedling perfectly, in form and color. I will upload a picture of it so others can see it and give me an ID. (I'll start a new thread for that).

If the seedling is Hamamelis, I have no idea where it came from since I don't have any growing in my yard and I'm not aware of any growing anywhere close to me (this neighborhood is as close to the horticultural Sarah desert as you can get).

VV,
The color on that bur oak is impressive. Is this a first-year tree? I've had other oak seedlings that have shown good red color in the fall of their first year. Hopefully, that tree will keep that fall color as it ages.
Thanks,
Mike

Peoria, IL

Scott,

Nice pictures! The Hamamelis is a very rich red. The Japanese maple is top notch too. The Koto No Ito looks to be a interesting plant. Is this in your yard?

VV- perhaps this has a bit of the White Oak in it's blood? Excellent fall color for a Bur Oak for sure, regardless of the genes involved.

Ernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Ernie. Yes, the Koto No Ito is in my front garden bed.

VV, Great oak! Are you sure it is pure Bur? I almost included a helter skelter shot of about fifty containers of oak seedlings I've got in a coldframe. What a range of color! Some brown, some green, but then red, pink, salmon, orange, yellow, that mix of yellow and brown that only oaks and beeches can pull off properly. I think oaks as a whole are sadly under rated in terms of fall color.

Scott

This message was edited Nov 1, 2006 9:06 PM

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Great pics. The pinks in that Hamamelis are awesome. Has it flowered yet, and if so what color and any fragrance? Do you know the likely parents? The Koto No Ito looks cool too. I don't think the linearilobums will do well here, but maybe I am wrong. I wish I could grow a cryptomeria here also. Yours and the few at the Morton Arboretum tempt me once again.

What color is the Acer palmatum on the other person's property in the summer? If it has green leaves it might be Osakazuki. A total guess from a rookie, but it is an older cultivar with great fall color and larger sized leaves.

Bill

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bill, I was asking myself that yesterday afternoon. I drive by it everyday on my way to work, but as you can see it is kind of set back. However, I do believe it is a green-leaved cultivar, so Osakazuki might be it. I have both Vertree's book and a really nifty Japanese Maple CD created by the people at Eastwoods Nurseries. I'm hoping to sort through them and at least narrow down the possibilities.

Scott

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Decumbent , Nov 1 6:23 picture is a stunning planting. We get very muted color in Nantucket. We have been trying to introduce a few things that brighten things up. Mostly we get great rusty reds but nothing with fire. Our Liquidambar is still quite green but a nice mellow yellow is beginning to appear. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is a little Japanese maple that was given to us years ago. I don't know it's name. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

We have planted hydrangea quercifolia that grows here to 12' and blooms profusely now that we have fenced the deer out ( they use to prune it severely) I love this plant as a 4 season beauty. I have many now growing from root cuttings all around the property. The Buddleja alternifolia behind it is in full fall bloom.. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Patti - looks like you don't have any problem growing H. quericifolia? Was talking with someone last week from Nantucket and he said the oakleafs just don't perform for him there (sandy soil, etc) - what's your secret?

Debbie

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I normally am not a big fan of Spireas, but I have 2 of these just for their fall colors. I like how they even seem blueish.

Bill

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is a seedling Japanese Maple of mine from this morning (can't take pics after work anymore). The pic doesn't do justice to the colors on this one. I like the shape that it is starting to take also.

Bill

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

rcn48, I can't imagine what it could be that we do to make them so happy. But the deer did use to prune all the buds off every spring before we had a fence. Mine are growing mostly on the south side of our house. We have a huge number of pine and cedar trees, so we have very acidic soil which they must love. Here is one of the big ones during the summer ( July 12, the fence behind it is 7' 6" tall). The most of the others I have kept at 4 to 6 feet. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Mike/tl3:

Yes, that bur oak was an acorn last fall. Produced in a 5" mesh bag in one season, it is 3' tall.

Ernie/LHDP/Scott:

Maybe white, maybe swamp white, maybe overcup, or....my money is on Quercus michauxii, swamp chestnut oak. Who knows who got in the woodshed with it, but it is definitely dominantly bur oak with the leaf character and corky bark already evident.

Here's some more color, as I learn the ins and outs of my camera better.

Taxodium mucronatum at the Valley.

This plant has held its color forever; I'll have to check dates of previous pics.

Cornus florida at the Valley.

A plant you don't see often enough: Quercus dentata at dawn's first light.

Anyone who hasn't avoided my posts knows my affection for wahoo.

Euonymus atropurpureus this morning.

You can't stand the anticipation......OK, a viburnum or two.

Viburnum dentatum Indian Summer™.

...and Viburnum dentatum Red Regal™.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Vv, You taunt me with your Q. dentatum! That is a plant that has eluded me one way or another for years. Perhaps, maybe, dare I dream, possibly in 2007 it will show up on my doorstep. Didn't even know it gets good color.

And then you taunt me again with Taxodium mucronatum. What the heck is it? Never heard of it before. Native?

Wahoos? Yep. That's a good one.

Bill, Don't like spireas either, but that color is quite good. Almost makes me want...well, I won't go that far. And that seedling JM looks very good. I am a big fan of that "heptalobum" type foliage.

Patti, Is that Buddleia alternifolia as good a plant in person as it sounds when I read about it? I just planted a struggling little guy in the garden this summer, and since getting in the ground it has improved much, but I think I'm a still several years from the beauty in your picture.

Scott

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Scott, Buddleia alternifolia grown as a weeping tree is, in my opinion, far better than trying to grow it as a shrub. It needs the height of a trunk to allow it to attain any grace. It can be quite rank in form. It's spring bloom for me is rather sparse, fall being far better, though that could easily be from my poor pruning. I have never taken a good picture of it to reveal it's nice color in leaf and bloom. I am trying to train a clematis to utilize its branches during the summer. I blew up the previous shot to give you a better idea, but it is just a bad picture. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Taxodium mucronatum. What Rio valley are you referring to Viburnum? Certainly not a Z5b, or are they actually hardy?

Bill

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

This is two weeks ago..

Thumbnail by claypa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.