Some really neat stuff

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

My dear sweet husband has bought all kinds of things to help me monitor what goes on in my greenhouse. He has really done some neat things for me and I just wanted to show them off because I am really proud of him. He mounted censors on the SW, NW, and NE walls plus one on the ourtside. He programmed these things to let me know if the temperature drops too low so that I can turn the heat up if I need to. He also has a humidity censor in there but it is not hooked up to the computer yet. So anytime I'm on my computer I can go to a certain URL and get a quick glance at the temperature readings. He is also hooking it up to another computer that will monitor things and sound an alarm if the temperature drops too low. I can also get detailed reports any time I want to. He also bought me one of those colorful lighted signs, you know the kind that have one line that scrolls across like you see on buildings to show the time and temperature or what special a store is having, that he put up in the livingroom that will show the temperatures of the greenhouse as well. This is not a big one that goes on buildings, it is just a one liner and not too big. I think he wanted to feel like he was a part of things and did this for me. He has other things to add which he will be adding a little at a time. I was just going to buy a little weather station but he wanted to do this for me. Here is a screen shot of what the graph looks like when showing the temps in the last 5 minutes.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is what it looks like when showing what has happened in the last 20 minutes. It will let me do minutes, hours, and even days at a time. I think it is really cool.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

wow, that looks like a really cool program. and very helpful!

I, TX(Zone 8a)

Does he have a brother that is intrested in gh also?

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Name of the software, please? Was it bundled with the sensors?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Bloom, my DH does have a brother but he is happily married and lives in Australia.

Eggs, the sensors did not come bundled with anything. My DH just ordered the little sensors by themselves, did some wiring, and basically made his own system from scratch. He is a techie and can do lots of stuff like that. He downloaded some software off the net and linked it all together and made it all work. He can basically design just about anything when it comes to wires and gadgets. He is truly my sweet little gadget geek.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm a "techie" too. That's why I asked the name of the software he downloaded. Could you ask him, for me? Thanks.

I, TX(Zone 8a)

I can't imagine someone being as lucky as you!!! I asked dh one time to fix something and laughed and told me that I should have married a carpenter. Oh well. Good luck with the green house and all that goes with it.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Eggs, DH told me to tell you that the name of the software is Digitemp. He also said to tell you

Quoting:
The sensors are a mix of DS18S20/DS18B20 and DS2760 chips running on a one wire network designed by Dallas Semiconductor who is now owned by Maxim Inc. The network is split with both daisy chain and star type topology along with a regulated 5v power off the low power railing of a PC-PSU. Data is polled every 60 seconds. Collection time is roughly 750ms-900ms per sensor and stored in an SQL backend. Graphs are created using PHP+GD2. This network bus also interfaces to an 8 way channel relay that is connected to a step up relay that allows control of the following functions via automation: overhead greenhouse fan, a large exhaust greenhouse fan interlock and a natural gas 30,000 BTU heater.

Jesse

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jesse. I also run Linux, so I just may give a similar setup a go. =)

Many thanks for the info, and give yer DH a TY from me, too.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Very neat. It graphically (pun intended) shows the temperature variability within the confines of the greenhouse.
Do hook up the humidity sensor. I've found that maintaining high humidity in the greenhouse is much more difficult than I ever thought. When the fans are going, colder outside air becomes extremely dry when it heats up inside the greenhouse. Two sensors on either end could be very revealing.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

How very very cool Jesse. DH deserves a big pat on the back for that bit of cleverness!
carol

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

Ive been looking into a PLC ( programable logic controler) FAB ARRAY is the unit.
very easy to program and lots it can do. I have allready made some programs for it
to control HID Lights , waterpumps (hydroponics) , fans. It can also monitor temp and Rh.
to some degree. I just dont have the $$$ to get the actual unit and sensors to bench test it.
This plc can also phone you and deliver a prerecorded message if somehting goes wrong.
the PLC itself cost about 150 bucks ..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.