Going to Harper's this weekend!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Harper's Lawn Ornaments - for anyone who's never been there - definitely worth the trip! Heard about them several years ago and was never able to make their annual fall sale. On my way to Leesburg a couple of weeks ago figured I'd drop by and at least check them out. It's right on Route 11 in Harrisonburg and an easy stop off I-81. When I had originally checked out their website, http://www.harperslawnornaments.com/index.php, I was a little disappointed - but what a surprise to see all the different things they sell!! Since we didn't have enough time, decided we needed to make a special trip back - there was way too much to see - you'd probably have to spend a couple of hours to see everything! They have every kind of statuary you can imagine and beautiful water gardens we didn't have time to explore. Got my eye on a really nice Heron for the edge of our pond - a couple of other things as well, but have to stay within my "budget" :) Speaking of which, their prices are really reasonable compared to what I've seen in garden centers. I'll post pictures after the weekend and show you what I bought.

Debbie

Crozet, VA

Hi Debbie - I love Harpers too!!! A couple of months ago my niece and I made a day of shopping there and at a few stores in Harrisonburg. I picked out what I would like to have at Christmas that day. ha-ha. I bought an elephant statue. He is still sitting on my screen porch as I haven't had time to find a proper home for him. I am hoping to get at least one of their cement benches. I haven't decided which style I want yet. That will take a bit of thought.

I am also attracted to the asian style pieces that they have. It is a fun way to spend some time. It is a very interesting place to scout about. They make the statuary right there on premises. Yes, yes please post pics of your purchases. I think that I have a pic of my elephant somewhere. i will try to find it and post here.

Ruby

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Oooh, Ruby - the Asian pieces are lovely aren't they? I got so excited looking at what they have, I've already forgotten most of them - that's why I HAVE to go back! Tons of different styles of birdbaths - you can mix and match the top with the post - so if you want a shorter one, you can select a shorter post - all priced separately so it makes easy. They had a really nice rhubarb leaf "bath" - now I just need to find the post I liked best, maybe the one that looks like a tree stump? They have also have a nice cat that I'm thinking about - it's about 4' tall, real slender and would make a nice companion for the cat I just moved to another part of the gardens - it's just the "silly" expression on the cat that I'm not sure I could get used to :( Don't have as much money to spend as I'd like to since I just bought a new arbor, but I'm definitely getting my Heron! I'll take my camera with me so I can take pictures while I'm there and treat everyone to a "tour".

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Oooh. I'm going to Harrisonburg anyway on Saturday for my last chance to see my nephew in the marching band at JMU's game. I guess I'll be dragging the whole extended family with me since we have the big vehicle for toting everybody around. It's a good thing my BIL and his father are gardeners, too. I may have some enthusiastic companions. But it sounds like I may need to hook up the trailer.

Thanks, Debbie!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Debbie, after perusing their site, I'm wondering if this is open to wholesalers only. Do you know?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

No, it's retail. They have a wonderful selection of concrete things, also some Mexican pottery such as chimineas and large pots, water garden supplies and some cute decorative items inside. I've mentioned this before, but the windchimes they sell, made by a company in Manassas Park, are absolutely the best I've seen anywhere. The sound is magical.

Coming south on 81, take the very first Harrisonburg exit - route 11. Turn left at the end of the ramp and it's maybe a mile down the road on the left. Keep a sharp eye out. Because of the hills, you don't see it until you're almost on top of it.

To get to JMU, it will be easier to double back and get back on 81.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Windchimes? Manassas Park????? Hmmm....do they have a store in Manassa Park that sells them? I'm going to be in Manassas Friday night.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I could never find anything on the chime company but their name and address is on the chimes at Harpers. I imagine they only sell wholesale.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, hart. I have a friend who's bought some statuary there and it's quite nice. Hers were custom ordered and still not expensive.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I didn't think to mention that, but if, for example, you see a birdbath you'd like but you want it painted to look like green copper, they'll give it whatever finish you want. There's a wall on the front of the shed where they do the concrete work that shows the different paint colors done on stepping stones.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

mickgene, hart's already answered your question re: wholesale vs. retail - but again I emphasize the website shows not even a clue of what they have to offer. That's interesting about your friend's custom order - maybe I could get him to make me one of the cats I like without the "silly" expression on his face? LOL He'll probably think I'm nuts, but it really makes the piece look dorky but it's a really nice form otherwise. And I do like the fact that they let you choose which finish you want - although I still like them without any finish.

Hart, I did have an opportunity to look at their chimes. They're nice, but I still really like the ones I bought at Kim's Greenhouse last year. Everyone who comes to the house wants one and we haven't been able to find anything like it since. Still looking for them for a couple of Christmas presents. Hard to explain, but they almost have a "jazzy" sound to them :)

Edited: Couldn't remember the name last night - came to me this morning :) Corinthian Bells http://www.windchime.com/wind-chimes/aluminum-wind-chimes/products.cfm?action=view&key=QM009

This message was edited Nov 2, 2006 6:15 AM

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the windchime link, Debbie. Is Kim's in/near Harrisonburg, too?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The Corinthian Bells are made by the same manufacturer as the ones sold at Harpers. I finally found a little bit of info on them, including a phone number.

phone: 703-368-7924
fax: 703-392-1334
e-mail: p.baisden_qmt@verizon.net
web site:
manufacturer lines: Corinthian Bells, Gentle Spirits Windchimes, Mountainview Feeders & Bird Houses, Shenandoah Melodies, Arias Windchimes, Weatherland Chimes

product categories: Bells*Chimes, Wind Chimes*Moviles*Kites, Made In The Usa, Bird Houses & Feeders

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ah hart....thank you!!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

The "internet queen" does it again! Had no idea that these were made by the same company. I spent alot of time searching for Corinthian Bells - Hart, guess I should have just asked you? Now if you could just find them for me for the price I was willing to pay, say around $50? LOL :) [We paid $90 but that's way more than I'm willing to spend for these Christmas gifts!]

mickgene, Kim's is off 81 in Broadway. Saw an advertisement on television when we were staying in Winchester two years ago and it's been a destination in the spring ever since on our way home from Blandy - we can get into real "trouble" there - fantastic selection of annuals :) It's not that difficult to find (although I was completed turned around when we tried to find it the second time). If you'd like directions, I can ask Rick - my "tour guide" :) Just in case you're thinking of having lunch or an early dinner after the game Saturday, I have a suggestion as well - just let me know.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Debbie. Googling Kim's got me a map. The family's trying to get me to tailgate tomorrow. More work than I'd planned on, for sure, and much colder, too. But I'm always open to places to eat anyway. We never know when we may find ourselves starving in any particular neighborhood. ;)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

mickgene, sorry to get this to you late - but here's the link - Hank's Smokehouse http://www.hankssmokehouse.com/index.cfm If you travel east on 33, it's about 8 miles from 81?? Clay, the owner, is a friend of Rick's and his food is great! He also has a place at the farmer's market in Dayton - right on 42 I think? There's a link somewhere on his site. With the temps we're expecting for today, I'm hoping your family will give in and decide against 'tailgating' :)

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Debbie. I'm sure I've seen him at the Dayton Market; we love that place. And it's food for tailgating, too, for someone who hasn't yet prepped anything. I need to go to the Dayton market for lampshades today, anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.