Bubble Wrap vs. 6/10 mil poly plastic

Buffalo, NY

I'm going to be lining the inside of my 6x8" harbor freight greenhouse for better heating efficiancy.
Some people seem to use bubble wrap. I can get this, but why is it better than just clear plastic?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Air is a good insulator--that's why twin wall greenhouses are better than single wall, and double pane windows are more efficient than single pane. Since the bubble wrap is filled with air, it will provide better insulation than a single layer of plastic would.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

ecrane is right, air is a good insulator. The trick is to limit convection in the air pocket. Since we know that warm air rises, if the space is large, more heat will transfer through the space by convection than conduction. Insulating materials like fibreglass batts and styrofoam trap air such that it cannot move. Bubble wrap confines the air to a small space so that a single sheet of bubble wrap approaches the insulating quality of two sheets of plastic.
Dave.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but does it matter which side of the bubble wrap is stuck to the glass? I have stuck the flat side to the glass, and now I'm thinking it might have been better with the bubbles to the glass...

Fulton, MO

June, it is better with the bubbles to the glass.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Stressbaby. Well, I'll know better next year...there's no way I'm unsticking and re-sticking all that bubble wrap now! Getting the spray glue off the lenses of my glasses was difficult, then I had to persuade my husband to finish the job, since he can (more or less) see what he's doing without eyeglasses. I guess I should have bought safety goggles along with the spray glue.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.