Container Question

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Through FreeCycle, I obtained 3 plastic containers; I think they originally held trees. They are black, 17" high and 16" across. I *think* they'd be perfect to transplant my two roses into (I've been promising them larger containers for 2 summers now, just haven't been able to afford 'em) but what I'm wondering is: should I do something to them, like paint them, before? I have direct Southern exposure and it seems to me that the roots might get too hot with the black plastic. Maybe I shouldn't put roses in 'em? Maybe I shouldn't use them at all?

Thanks! jo/nm who's getting way more than help than she's been able to give

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Use a little more peat in the mix or add it to the potting mix to increase the moisture held and use a layer of mulch (off the rose crown) to hold in moisture. Roses will do well. I would use a bone meal mix up in the potting mix.

Denver, CO

Good Question JO!!! Glad you asked! So glad! (I'm frantically recalling my toasted potted plants this spring)
Home depot or whatnot has $3 or so plastic-adhering white spraypaint. Skip the "Plastic enamel." I wasn't impressed. Glossy and all, but you've got to drown the pot in it to get it white.

Until lately, I have said "Unnecessary trouble" to using added perlite in a potting mix. With a rose, it may not be as important as it is to other plants, but I am now a convert and firm believer. It prevents the drainage from slowing down as the soil breaks down, which can clog the drain holes and drown the plant, worst-case scenario.
Yeah, ang like Steve wrote, mulch them, too.
Are you keeping them in these pots outdoors in winter?
Kenton

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Ahhhh, well, I did last year and they were just fine this year. I bought them at a local rose society show and sadly the seller didn't know that much about them; they only bloom once in the spring; one climbs more than the other. Think they'll do much better in larger pots. Last fall, I followed someone's advice since this was my very first fall with roses and pruned them in the fall and mulched heavily. This year think I'll prune in spring and transplant at the same time; they're mulched with about 2" or more of chipped up pine tree. I could pull them over into an interior corner to protect them a tad more. There is *no* more room inside -- even with my ability to squeeze in one more plant, LOL! Don't know quite what I'm gonna do when my winter blooming/forcing bulbs arrive. Eek! Thanks for the additions advice and the paint tip -- jo

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

They should be fine outside as long as you keep them out of the wind. And if you can't arrange that use Wilt-Pruf. I had my climber in a foam pot, used Wilt-Pruf and covered the whole thing with a blanket when it reached -22F for a week, and it came back just fine the next year.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Denver, CO

Prune in fall!!!? Rosarians have been thrown out of Rose heaven for the same!
How late/early? That's crazy...

Judith, is that stuff an antidessicant? I've seen wonderful things with foam-fuax pots. No land? When you gotta garden, you gotta garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.