Fall Photos from Christchurch Botanical Gardens

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

#27 I would love to know what this beautiful sea serpent is

Thumbnail by runktrun
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Nice pics, runk. Jealous jealous jealous of trip to NZ.

Not so fond of the regular references to dancing; you're just feeding my wife's "See! I told you!" position on such things.

I hope you cross-post these images to the Vacations & Travel forum. Good stuff.

These are the occasions when I can illustrate my woefully inadequate exposure to southern hemisphere garden flora. I think I'll send my guesses under separate cover.

I'm slowly making my way through your stellar photos.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks runktrun,

#2 old name=Araucaria araucana
8 Cedrus atlantica or libani
9 Fagus sylvatica (cv?)
12 Thuja plicata but the lower branches don't look right
13 l-r Leucadendron argenteum, Leucadendron laureolum?, Leucospermum reflexum
14 Erica discolor?
15 Fatsia japonica
19/20 Araucaria bidwillii or A. angustifolia
21 Dicksonia antarctica
25 Cupressus macrocarpa
26 Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca'

You might want to add some of these to PF with mention of the gardens in the comment field.

#24 might be a big old Tilia; I can't quite make out the foliage/arrangement well, but seems to be alternate. That bark looks right for it.

I haven't looked up into one like that since the last time I made it to Mainau (6-8 years ago now).

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

VV, I was thinking the same thing but it was more of a ? than listed above.

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

VV & growin,
I am certain I won't be the first to tell you today that you are both positively brilliant. Other than VV's short coming of being unable to distinguish if a tree is dancing, wearing a ball gown, or not a tree but actually sea serpent you both qualify as nothing short of genius and are my super heros for the day. Thanks kt

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

#2 - correct name = Araucaria araucana
#5 - correct name Pinus pinaster (Maritime Pine)
#7 - The seeds on the ground are Aesculus indica (Indian Horse-chestnut), not from the Lawson's Cypress
#8 - Cedrus libani (Lebanon Cedar)
#9 and #11 - Fagus sylvatica (European Beech)
#12 - Sequoiadendron giganteum (Giant Sequoia) (not Thuja plicata)
#18 - Acer palmatum (Japanese Maple)
#19 and #20 - Araucaria bidwillii (Bunya)
#25 - Cedrus libani (Lebanon Cedar) (not Cupressus macrocarpa - wrong bark and foliage)
#26 - Cedrus libani var. atlantica (Atlas Cedar)
#27 - might be Zelkova carpinifolia

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Viburnum Valley,

I vote our next road trip is to Christchurch! I'll even drive.

Scott

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Resin,
Thank you, thank you, thank you...I am in the process of sewing you a superheros cape as well. As soon as I read Sequoiadendron giganteum I remembered that is what it is. I am still laughing at myself for having fallen hook line and sinker for a prankster littering Indian Horse-chestnuts under and around the Lawson's Cypress. I wonder if they were near by enjoying the sight of me and my camera!!!
Scott,
I really think you should let Resin drive as I bet he is more comfortable driving on the WRONG side of the street.
kt

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Alright Valley, first we drive to Resin's house, and then we drive to Christchurch. I've got four vacation days left this year.

Scott

More than enough days; by the time you work with the time zones and reverse seasons, we'll be back before we left and you'll have an extra day or two around Christmas to goof off.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for sharing! Great pics.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.