Container blueberries

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4b)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I should leave a container blueberry plant on my deck in the winter. I live in zone four and I got this plant this year. Supposedly it will bloom and have blueberries on it, but it didn't do it this year. I am just wondering if I should bring this plant in for the winter. My regular blueberries in the ground are okay, but I am not sure if a container plant would survive the winter on my deck. It's leaves are already a pretty red, like the ones in the ground.

Thanks for your help.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Manypets. I don't know if this will help you or not. I had a blueberry and had it for almost 4 years and never a blueberry on it. I found out I need another blueberry and actually one of a different cultivar to get them to fruit. I got me a couple more and planted them near each other and after another couple of years when they got established, I finally got blueberries.

They have never produced heavy and usually the birds get to them before I do. This past season I kept watching and watching and waiting for them to ripen and was finally having a decent little showing of fruit and was gone for a couple of days and darn birds got all but one.

Think ya need to some pruning every year too, but not exactly sure when or where to take the cuts.

Hi, Starlight1153:

Thanks for your advice. This is working for my blueberry bushes that are in the ground. However, this one I am concerned with is in a pot on my patio. I believe they are called patio plants or something to that effect. It is in a pot like a potted plant would be.

I think you could be on to something though. Maybe next year I should get another one and see if it will have blueberries on it then. It is still very small, so I don't expect a lot yet. But, being so small is why I am a bit worried about it.

Thanks! I appreciate the reply.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

4b's pretty cold for a pot with roots above ground. Unless the pot is very well insulated, I'd encourage you to find a place to sink it in the ground or place it in a cool but protected spot for the winter.

Thanks, Terry. That's what I was thinking, but someone else told me that it could be left out. I just wanted someone else to second that. I will take it in and set it in the garage.

I appreciate the help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.