Very nice list of native plant sources

Shenandoah Valley, VA

http://www.fws.gov/chesapeakebay/Nursery.htm Very nice list of native plant nurseries throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed states - Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, DC.

I didn't know NY was in the bay watershed. Learn something new every day.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, there's a tributary of the Susquehanna that goes aaaaaaall the way up there. I'll add a link to a mail order place in the midwest that has a great selection, some of the plants are from the east as well

http://www.stonesiloprairie.com/id70.html

Shenandoah Valley, VA

By the way, don't anyone buy pussy toes or compass flower. You can dig all you want out here if you come to the swap.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the link. It has a long list of nurseries. I have bought plants from Lower Marlboro Nursery and from Homestead Gardens (just down the road). Both are good places to buy plants but for different reasons.

Homestead Gardens is a big, fancy nursery. They carry some native plants (more this last summer) and lots and lots of other stuff. They even have a coffee place (kinda like a Starbucks)!!! A few years ago I went there asking about natives and got blank looks. Not everyone working there knows plants.

Lower Marlboro Nursery is a very small (exclusively native plants i think) place. It does mail order or by appt. only. The lady who owns it knows a lot about plants!

Has anyone ordered plants from Toadshade in NJ?

I definitely want some pussytoes!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanx Hart & Claypa for the links.:-))

Joey

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You can have all you want, greenkat. There's pussytoes growing all over my yard.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Yes...thanks for the list. Too bad there are not more here in Northern Virginia. Windy Hill Plant Farm closed last year.

- Brent

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Is something wrong with the links above? I clicked on hart's link for the list of native plant nurseries and got a beep sound and no connection to the link. I manually typed in the link to FWS but didn't see the list of nurseries...could you re-post or dmail me with the link or the list of native plant nurseries throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed states? Thanks.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Try again. They're working fine for me.

The full fws link is here, without the www - fws.gov/chesapeakebay/Nursery.htm

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks hart, I think it was Rick's computer that was at fault - mine's working just fine :) Surprised that Hyla Brook Farm is not listed there - another great source of native plants. http://www.hylabrookfarm.com/

Summit, NJ(Zone 6b)

greenkat,

I have ordered from Toadshade and have been very happy with them. I'm especially like that they say they make a point of propagating their plants in a responsible manner.

hart,

Thanks for posting the link. I'm always on the lookout for failry local sources of native plants!

Lori

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for posting this, Hart!

Speaking of the Susquehanna River, I grew up within walking distance of the Susquehanna -- up in NY State.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I didn't see this one in above link, but it's relatively close to me and Happy (the nursery is in Davidsonville):

Chesapeake Natives, Inc.
Takoma Park, MD
Phone: 301-580-6237
Plants and seeds, Chesapeake watershed ecotypes only.
Wholesale only. (Individuals and organizations may place an order by e-mailing AnnWing@ChesapeakeNatives.org)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.