Where to buy Cannas

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Am I missing something? http://www.karcheskycanna.com/ charges $12.50 for one rhizome of President canna (plus shipping, for which they do not disclose the price until you put together an order), but www.cannas.net charges only $1.25 (plus shipping). Why the big discrepancy?

(I posted this on GardenWeb also where these 2 sellers were recommended, but didn't get a response.)

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I bought "Chocolate Cherry" from Karcheskys in late Spring this year and paid what I considered to be a small fortune for six rhizomes, but I had read recommendations from other Gardeners at Dave's so thought I'd give them a try. When they arrived each rhizome was a good size, with lots of roots and some had small shoots as well. Duly planted them all, fertilized, watered and waited. Well, here we are in late October and they are all around 5ft+ tall, lots of beautiful foliage and flowering their heads off!! Being a first time Canna grower I doubted whether I would get flowers this year and certainly didn't expect them to spread so rapidly - so very few of my plants get so lush so quickly LOL. They've completely filled in the area they were planted in.

I've never bought from http://www.cannas.net/ but Karcheskys are getting more of my money next year. The quality, IMO, is outstanding!

Here's a picture of Chocolate Cherry and yes the colour really is that bright! (but I don't know why this picture is posting sideways :-( )

Thumbnail by wgnkiwi
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i also have been buying from KC for a very long time yup you can get cheaper ones out there but thats what you will get to small rhyzomes and lots of times they wont grow or are the wrong ones Paul Hicks .{ a pic of one from KC pixie}

Thumbnail by phicks
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can say I highly recommend Karcheskys cannas . The rhizones a large and very healthy. Yes you can buy them cheaper with other companies ,but the quality is not there compared to Karcheskys. They are excellent to deal with too. That my 2 cent for today. LOL.
Patti

This message was edited Oct 27, 2006 3:03 PM

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I buy mine from Horns and they are excellent quality. Unless you need something they don't have there is no reason to go elsewhere BUT you need to order now or they will be sold out for '07

Spring City, TN(Zone 7b)

KIKISDAD -- Thanks for the note on HORN CANNA FARM -- in case someone is looking it up on the Watchdog . I've placed my order and was thrilled with the prices and selection. I didn't know cannas came in anything but yellow or red.... hehe, what a terrific surprise! And I love supporting a family operation.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

You may also want to check out Old House Gardens. They don't have an extensive selection but they have large healthy rhizomes and reasonable shipping. Very good customer service too.

www.oldhousegardens.com

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Please allow me to put in a plug for the Garden Watchdog. These threads are a GREAT way to talk about who's who when it comes to sellers, but eventually the thread drops off the page and may be hard to locate for others seeking this info.

I know for a fact that the vendors (especially the smaller ones) truly appreciate positive feedback. Most of these specialty companies don't have the marketing budgets of the "big guys" so they rely on word of mouth - and that's what the Watchdog does best.

And even when the feedback isn't so positive...you can still do the vendors (not to mention your fellow gardeners) a huge favor by providing constructive feedback on what could have been better about your experience.

To help you find the vendors you have most likely ordered from, here's a link to all the canna vendors: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/advanced.php?category=144&submit=Go

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Wgnkiwi: Ooooo, "Chocolate Cherry"! Beautiful! Thanks for posting that picture.
Phicks: What is the beautiful peachy/pinky sunny canna called? ~~~ Carol

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

That ones Pixie

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

Pixie. Just fabulous with that two tone color. I'll have to hunt for that one and Chocolate Cherry too.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

bwilliams also sells good Cannas to

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Brian's website is wonderful. I love tropicals anyway. I'm sure a lot of time and resources goes into hybridized cannas. Paul are yours in the classified section on Daves?

Deborah

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

No E bay

Joshua, TX(Zone 8a)

How do I locate bwilliams cannas?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Brian's company is in the list of canna vendors: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/advanced.php?category=144&submit=Go

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Sorry, Malcolm,
Price is ALWAYS up front.
We don't charge $12.50 shipping. That number is not in our increments.
And that shipping is for more than one canna, also.
One canna is $8 shipping.

Many times quotes are for full growing/blooming plants.
In event of that, shipping would be higher.

We work very hard to offer the highest quality cannas anywhere.
Constructive criticism is always well received.
But please do not bash us unfairly here.
It is not fun to come upon while I am here at the forum for something else )o:
Thank you.
Alice Harris
Karchesky Canna

This message was edited Nov 19, 2006 10:15 AM

This message was edited Nov 19, 2006 10:22 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.