Mystery Plant in Va. - Can you identify?

Lanexa, VA

Hi,

This plant came up in an area set aside for composting, but we have never seen anything like it before. I've asked all around and tried the internet, but I can't seem to pick the correct keywords to pull up anything resembling this!
I thought it was a tree at first, but it doesn't seem sturdy enough. (We had storm with high winds that pushed it over not long after these pictures.)
We would really like to identify this and are anxious to know if it is an invasive plant since these pods hold tons of seeds!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for looking!! :-)

Thumbnail by GimpyGardener
Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Datura also known as Devil's Trumpet. Not sure wich one but thats what ya got. Love those things, also very poisonous so if you handle them dont touch your face until you wash your hands.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, definitely datura, looks most like Datura stramonium.

GimpyGardener, the seed pods will break and seedlings will pop up for sure. However, they can be easily pulled up or if you don't want loads of them pull the pods (or the whole plant) now before they get too dry and open on their own.

By the way, a Hearty WELCOME TO DG!

Shoe.

Estell Manor, NJ

This plant came up in my back yard in South Jersey. They grew in the late summer/early fall after a storm. The mulched oak and pine needles are the growth medium.

Thumbnail by krrnrn
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I used to see those in the woods when I was a kid... I think it's called Dutchman's Pipe? I wonder if it's a plant or a fungus

Edited to say it is a plant, here's a link:http://www.macphailwoods.org/indianpipe.html

This message was edited Nov 2, 2006 1:10 PM

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Wow, I haven't seen Dutchman's Pipes in years. I remember how excited I was to spot them at Girl Scout Camp when I was director for a 3 weeks resident camp. That was many moons ago.

Thanks for sharing,krr

Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.