Apricot Tree

Amherst, VA(Zone 7a)

I am possibly moving to Yucaipa Calif area and am wondering what zone that is considered (I can't tell what zone it is from the color charts).

Also, I wonder if an Apricot tree would do well in Yucaipa and where to get one. Thanks

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Skittles, I lived and gardened in San Bernardino for 16 years (until 1996) and had a very productive apricot tree, and also an aprium (a cross = 3/4 apricot, 1/4 plum). My garden area was hardiness zone 9a. Yucaipa is a slightly higher elevation and might be on the 8b/9a line. An apricot tree should do quite well for you. As for places to buy it, I can't remember which nursery I purchased from, but there are some good ones. Ask an area Master Gardener. Also, consider joining the Inland Empire chapter of California Rare Fruit Growers. The chapter was very active when I was there; we exhibited at the National Orange Show and LA County Fair. Also held some great plant swaps. Monthly meetings were held at the arboreteum of the UC Riverside campus. Yuska

P.S. Don't forget to visit Oak Glen for those wonderful apples each autumn.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2006 8:12 AM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I found a great web site to check out, http://home.att.net/~oc_crfg/LOW-CHILL.htm if you know how many chill hours are in your area, this would be a good site to hold on to. If you can't pull up the website, try Fantasia Gardens. I haven't bought from them, but the site has a lot of good information on low chill fruit. CJ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.