Tibochina

Victoria BC, Canada(Zone 9a)

Hello all

I have a lovely tibochina and would like to do some cuttings. I have tried a couple times with no luck so far. They have sort of a hollow stem. Each time I have tried to root them in water they eventually turn brown. Has anyone tried cuttings with these? Please tell me what worked for you.

Thanks

Bea

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I have had some success in the past with this plant. Try putting the cuttings in to some moist potting mix and covering with a plastic tent and place under lights (keep it warm as well). This might not be the best time for cuttings but you could try.

Mobile, AL

I have had really good luck propagating Tibouchina. I use rooting hormone and stick them in moist soiless media and keep the soil damp. I didn't use a tent, but our humidity is usually high, so that may make a difference.

Last year, for the fun of it, I took some cuttings right before our last frost and put them in a bucket of water which I kept in the porch that was temporarily enclosed with greenhouse plastic. The temps occasionally went down to about 40 degrees and there was very little light. Some rooted and some didn't. You have to know that I am the world's worst at rooting in water, so I was amazed that this worked. The cuttings were about 1.5 to 2 ft. long, much larger than I would try in a gallon pot.

I potted up several of them and they bloomed starting in spring and are blooming even more than the parent plants. They are still in pots, but will go in the garden in the next week or two.

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

What a beautiful plant! I would love to find that for my garden. Can you tell me where you got them. What a great color..I love the blues and purples! Is it hardy in your zone? I am in Zone 7B..wondering if it would be hardy here..
Thanks for any info.
JanetS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.