Hibiscus Cuttings

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I finally started some Tropical Hibiscus cuttings this morning. I have a total of 32. They mainly consist of my three doubles, yellow, apricot, and pink. More yellow then anything. I have them in Vermiculite. I used the Dip'N Grow liquid rooting concentrate on them. I will need to spray them with water everyday to keep the leaves moist. But I am hoping they start to root within the next month. I would really like them to root a lot sooner, but I'm not holding my breath. I will keep updating on the progress as it happens.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Here is a picture of the Apricot or it could be salmon color.

Could this one be a PERSIMMON Tropical HIBISCUS?????

This message was edited Oct 21, 2006 11:52 AM

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Here is my yellow one I think it is called Full Moon

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

This is the pink

If anyone knows the correct names for these please let me know.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

That is great! I am like you and love to make cuttings. I have them going all the time...
I am a self proclaimed "Cutting Queen" but I don't have very much luck with Trop. Hib. so I will be watching your post.
Thanks for posting this!!! Tricia

I have so many of the reds that I have started, simply because everytime I was turning around one was getting broken so I would put it in water and leave it sitting in the GH, once it had roots I would plant it. I am hoping I have good luck with this Dip'N Grow. But will keep updating as I go.

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, let use know! I make so very many different cuttings.. but never ever have any luck on the Trop. Hib even though my weather is VERY tropical..
I have blooms on my trop. Hib. plants even at Christmas.
I use soil to try to make cuttings with them but maybe I will learn something from you.
Thanks! Tricia

Tricia check out the following web site and read about the Dip'N Grow.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/644934/

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh wow! Just read that post TY! who is the cheapest company do you know?
I want to try it maybe I can get the Trop. Hib to grow! Thanks for info..

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm looking forward to how yours do. I have 5 or so cuttings in water just for fun cause I don't need any more H. - you notice I said "need" - want is a whole nother world.

Ann

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

I am going to try to find the best price on the Dip'N Grow... and try some more.
I wonder if they sell it in stores?
Hi Plantlady from Houston nice to "See" Ya! Tricia

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Some larger nurseries sell it.
:-)

I ordered mine off the internet but for the life of me I can't remember where. It's so sad to be getting older and not being able to remember things like you use to. When I think of it I will post it.

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

Eclipse thanks I will call around!! I love to root all the time year around!! Yeah!
Tricia

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I just bought Dip'n Grow a couple of days ago and can't wait to use it on my various brug and hibiscus cuttings. I hope it lives up to its hype.
I bought mine from a local greenhouse supply store for about $10.00. It is supposed to make a huge amount of liquid dip. I am only a little afraid because it is supposed to be very toxic. I tend to be a little clumsy and fear I might spill some on myself.

So far they are doing great, haven't seen any roots yet, yes I know it has only been 5 days since I started them. But miracles do happen.

Gloriag you paid $10 I think mine was something like $7.50 plus shipping, but you may have gotten a bigger one then I got. I still can't remember where I got mine. Age really likes to play tricks on a persons mind.

Seabrook, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes I was thinking about this --today where is the lowest price since I DO alot of cuttings lots and lots LOL!
I rather buy it local so I don't have to wait... I am going to call around too.
Tricia

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Tricia, did you locate a source in your area to buy dip and grow? I have not found anything here and I would like to try it and not have to pay and arm and the other leg. LOL.............

Dee

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I just found some at Esposito's in Tallahassee for 2 oz. for 5.00. I will get some and try it and post my results with it.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi. I was just wondering about your cuttings. Any news?
I've never tried to root a tropical hib. I only have 1 and I'm scared to cut it. :-)
Lora

So far no change. I don't seem to see any roots yet.

Hi
I, too, am attempting to root Tropical Hibiscus. So far, I have 1 that has definately rooted in my bubbler. I potted it a couple days ago. I have some in my Ebb and Flow that are also starting to root. It seems that the ones that are rooting are the cuttings that are part wood and part green. I've been leaving 2-3 leaves on each. If the leaves are big, I cut them in half. I had a few in coir, seemed to do good at first, but now have died.

I'm also trying some in vermiculite and some in perlitte. Sure hope I get some of these to root. I went out and got the DipnGrow. I'm so glad you all are discussing it.

Crystal

Santa Rosa, CA

Hi folks

Not sure if it's polite for me to butt in but thought I would maybe help a little with the cutting questions. It takes about 6-8 weeks for a trop hib to root. If you live in humid areas it's best to use some kind of fungicide on them as they can rot pretty easy. Also with the more exotic varieties such that I carry you need to graft them on a good rootstock like Pride of Hankins. Use moss, peat or vermiculite or some combination and mist at least once a day depending on your humidity. Covering them with saran wrap or some other way to make a greenhouse is best. Lastly for some reason hibs like to have company when rooting so feel free to stick several cuttings in the same container.

Hope that helps

David Franzman

Thumbnail by DavidFranzman
Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Another question: When rooting H cuttings do you take off all the leaves as you do w/roses? I have been taught that when you are trying to grow roots yo don't want the cutting trying to grow/keep leaves also (roses).
I've been successful w/roses in the spring when cutting the estab. ones back (making a mini-greenhouse w/a plastic container upside down) but it never occurred to me to try to root H. until now. Still learning after all these years.

Ann

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

David, thank you for that good info. So, hibs are like people and they want "closeness", how interesting.

If I read you correctly, you are saying some of the more exotic hybrids, i.e. something like Tarantella, are fussy and would be difficult to root and one would have more success grafting rather than sticking a cutting of a plant like that in a medium.

alice

Alice - good question, I want to know, also.

David - I love you "butting in" Your plants are awesome and I definately want to learn from you. Keep giving us info, please.

Crystal

Santa Rosa, CA

Hi Ladies

Yes Alice that's right. Some of these hybrids won't root on their own or if they do they just don't do well because they have a weak root system. If you root a hybrid and it gets maybe 12" tall but doesn't go anywhere from there it's probably a root problem.

Hi Crystal and thank you.

Hi Ann With H. rosa sinensis you should keep some leaf material. How much depends on how large a cutting you have. Usually you want to have a cutting that includes at least three leaf nodes...four is better. You want the top node to actually have a leaf on it. If it's a large leaf cut the leaf in half or more. If the leaves are smaller...like the very top branch them keep two or three of these very small leaves. Leaves can continue to make some energy for the cutting. Lastly remember that the best cutting usually is the one that transistions from wood/brown to green. This section has the most energy and can be the most productive for making roots. I hope that makes sense...

David

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Thx, David, for the info What has happened, actually, is that I had left the leaves on and they fell off along w/any buds that happened to be there but the nodes stayed green and are looking healthy. It's pretty hard to get to the brown on some of my H's because the "cuttings" are about many feet long - the bushes are 9' or so tall so you can see what I mean. Everything is going swimmingly w/what I have so I have great hopes. It will be a good learning experience no matter what.
Editing to say that I hope to get pics of my bushes today and will try to learn how to post them.
Ann

This message was edited Nov 3, 2006 8:21 AM

David do you think I will have any luck with my doubles?

Linda

Santa Rosa, CA

Good morning

Ann you want to make sure you strip off any buds on your cuttings. Those do rob a lot of energy from your scion and it needs that energy to produce roots. As far as the leaves falling off did they look like they turned black and kind of mushy? Too much moisture and your cuttings may rot before they root.

Hi Linda

There's no reason why your doubles won't root again depending on the variety. Regular garden varieties (non exotics) root easily. Pride of Hankins is the rootstock we use to graft with and it's a double. That variety can root just about anywhere and roots will go through concrete...well almost. : )

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

No, nothing fell off because of rot or whatever. They just up and fell off :>)).

Ann

I have had leaves turn yellow and I pulled them off.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Any updates on your cuttings?

I have had better luck by just starting them in water.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Interesting. I took 7 cuttings from my generic red hibiscus, stuck them in water and they bloomed ofr a bit but after 4 weeks they all died.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

What's the secret to rooting in water? I have some in water and they don't look all that good. I have two in wet seed starter and they appear to be getting nubbies. I'm very new at rooting these things, but I sure would like to learn how, especially knowing how much cutting material will be available from my plants when I bring them inside. Any hints to success would be appreciated. I'm all for doing it the easiest and fastest way possible.

I just place them in water and remove all but 2 or 3 leaves, and change the water on a regular bases. After they root I place them in a small pot and leave in GH or in house until they become more stable and the roots really start to grow. I also pinch off the new leaves as they come on this will help the cutting to be a little more bushy. Once the roots start coming out the bottom then I move to a little larger pot. I pinch about 3 times.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I think I'm doing what you said above. It must take a while. Me, impatient? Not a chance. LOL!

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have been rooting mine dipped in rooting hormone and placed in perlite in 3 liter pop bottles (cut in half horizontally and taped back together with clear tape) with holes poked in the bottom. Some started putting out tiny roots after a few months. While others are still unrooted. The bottles started smelling a little mildewy but the plants still look fine. Someone told me to add a little activated carbon (like the kind for aquarium filters) in the bottom under the perlite to combate fungal problems. So far it seems to be working well.
You can take off the pop top or leave it on depending on how much humidity you need for your enviornment. I suppose you could put these on a heating mat under lights but mine are on the warm cement patio near the house (brick) in the shade.

I think it must depend of the time of year to how quick they root. I know I have had some cutting in water up to 3 months then finally they I would see some roots. Then there is times I put the cuttings in water and within a month you there are roots. Go figure.

I usually just put them in a glass in the window above my kitchen sink, that way I see them all the time and it is easy to change the water. The window faces south.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.