It is the weekend again........what's up?

Crozet, VA

Is anyone doing anything exciting this weekend? Is anyone doing anything that they would like to share with group? It doesn't necessarily have to be garden related. Just wanted to check in and be a bit nosey, I suppose. Hah.....just trying to get some dialogue going.

As for me.....my friend who helps me clean on Saturdays will be coming later this morning. We were able to clean and organize one of my sheds last weekend. I will try to finish that with her help. The screen porch is for the most part looking okay, needs only a bit of attention. Oh yes, there is a box from Spring Hill Nursery that arrived yesterday. I haven't even opened it yet to see what all I have ordered. ha-ha.

I am not sure if I will get to plant the box this weekend or not. I will check and if it is all bulbs, I will probably wait until next week. If there are bare root or live plants in the box, I will tend to those today. This order was made a few weeks ago, so I cannot remember what was ordered.

I tell you what. The amount of planting that is currently going on here could very easily turn in to a small little side business. Didn't mean for it to, but hubby and I are talking of possibly going to local farmer;s market next spring and summer and selling some of our more bountiful specimans. Actually, it may not happen next year, but after the hundreds of day lily's that he is spending all of his time digging and planting, after we see them bloom and know what we have and they begin to propogate, we will most certainly have some to sell or give others.

John is still spending most of his week closing out the farm/nursery at his folks place. Both of his parents were Master Gardeners and had quite an operation once upon a time. When I first visited their home and garden about 15 years ago, it was certainly one of the most beautiful private gardens that I had ever seen. Age began catching up with them and they made the decision to move to a retirement community. It is only 4 years later that they have decided to sell their place. The gardens have not been tended during that time.

John has been researching some of the day lily's on here and we have both been amazed at the prices of some plants. Who would have thought that people are willing to pay $100.00 and often times more than that for one plant? We probably won't be raising any of those hundred dollar plus lily's. ha-ha.

Anyways, I would be interested in hearing what each of us have planned for the weekend. Please share.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Rake some leaves and put them in the compost pile. Get the rest of the water lettuce out of the ponds and put them in the compost pile.

Fix the rotted post on the front porch.

Put mulch on the new flower bed out front. Pick the pears before the deer decide they're ripe enough to eat.

Company for dinner tonight and I'm making whole chicken on the grill, smashed red potatoes, cole slaw, sugar snap peas and cherry cheesecake.

Uh oh. Ruby is getting Daylily Fever. No known cure. Only treatment is more daylilies. LOL

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I still have to make room for bulbs, and a couple daylilies and hostas moved around. The only excitement is playing drums in our community band, in the Halloween parade tomorrow. Should be fun. Nobody in the band wears a costume, but I'll probably wear my devil horns or something silly.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

We need to see a picture of you with your drums in your horns, Claypa. LOL

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

well if I could sell daylilies for a hundred bucks I'd be pretty tempted....more money than I could make from any of my hobbies. Does anybody know if there are any trademark restrictions on that, patented plants or something?

Crozet, VA

Oh yes, please have someone take a pic of horns. Too funny!!!

Hart, what time did you say that dinner was? I want to be there on time. The menu sounds deluxe. I cannot even remember the last time that I entertained anyone. My family is lucky to have me cook dinner at all. We have a nearby greasy spoon that makes the worlds best cheeseburger and my hubby and I often get that. Last week we sent out either 3 or 4 times.

I made a large pot of spaghetti yesterday which looks like it will last at least thru tomorrow. I have some pork chops thawing and am looking forward to having those soon. Earlier today I made a 7 layer salad with only five layers. ha-ha. My sister in laws call it 7 layer, but I only have 5 layers. Bottom layer is chopped or torn in to bite size pieces of lettuce, I then add a layer of sliced water chestnuts, a carton of frozen green peas, a layer of either mayo or salad dressing and top off with shredded cheddar cheese. It is quite tasty. Yum.

Thank you hart and claypa for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Ruby

Crozet, VA

Hi Sally - The two types of daylillies that we are planting are Stella deOro and oops, cannot remember the second variety. When hubby gets home I will ask and make a post of second type. Back 25 years or so ago when John's parents were building their gardens they spent $45.00 on one of these bulbs. It must have been under a patent or something at that time because we researched them now and they are running between $4.99 and about $20.00 per bulb.

Yes, I am finding it quite amazing that there would be that much money involved in a plant. For the most part, I will continue to stick with those that I buy at dollar store or some other inexpensive place. I did make a mail order purchase recently that ran a bit over $100.00. i am getting more than one bulb though, lots more.

I will ask around with your question and if I find out anything I will get back here and post findings.

Ruby

On the banks of the , VA(Zone 7a)

I took 8 horses to a clinic in Middleburg, VA. I spent the entire glorious day outside with my kids and my animals. It made me glad to be alive.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The new daylily hybrids go for big money, and after a few years they're always cheaper

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Ruby, I do this every Saturday. I love to cook. Next week I'm making my world famous marsala chicken because I had to open the wine to make the whole chicken tonight. (A little wine or beer in the bottom of the pan will make your chicken always come out tender and juicy provided you don't cook it too high too fast. You don't have to put it on the chicken, just a little in the pan.)

If anyone would like the recipe for the marsala chicken, let me know. Everyone says it's better, lots better, than Olive Garden's.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.