Spiderlily question

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I posted this in the Ga. forum,because there was a subject concerning spider lilies,but I think I should post here. I was given 6 bulbs,and planted them in late july, 4" deep, in hopes of seeing these bloom in september,but no bloom,however, in oct they sent up foilage.I was told that they multiply rapidly,whitch is the reason for the 6 bulbs.I must have listened wrong,or something,would someone point me in the right direction. Thanks, Mike

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm assuming these are lycoris--they often don't bloom the first year after movement. Sometimes they are kinda finicky about settling in. They will bloom for sure for you next fall if you don't move them.

Now newly imported Japanese ones will bloom immediately but are often so weak compared to the adapted ones they slowly fade away. I know you probably don't want to hear this after awaiting their bloom, but if they are a good vigorous variety they are worth the wait. They will live almost forever.
Debbie

Thank you ,Debbie,I do so want to see them bloom,and multiply.I would love to see them all around the house. Mike

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Are they the red ones, Lycoris radiata?

If so, you should be seeing some green coming up on them by now. The foliage has a lighter green stripe down it.

Mine have been showing green for a couple weeks now, first on the ones that didn't bloom and half-and-half on the ones that did.

I agree with dmj, the old heirloom variety is quite vigorous, multiplies well.

Robert.

They yellow are real nice too.

The heirloom L. africana yellows are good ones. But they *very* hard to find!

Guess one has to settle for the traubii.

Mike~

Have you identified whether or not the "spider lily" you have is Lycoris, Hymenocallis, Ismene, or Crinum? We could be talking about a plant you don't have.......

What do the leaves look like?

Robert.

L. traubii is very nice too. I think you are thinking of L chinensis which is not that impressive. L africana is a syn. for L. aurea which 9 times out of 10 is really L traubii. Robert, do yourself a favor and get Howard's book.
=) mentioned in only the most loving of ways.

I hear you , Debbie.......... ;-)))

I have some Lycoris albaflora on their way--we shall see how they "adapt" to deep heat and humidity down here. They are reported to persist....(does my cynicism on that species show?).

If you ask me--and this is strictly my own opinion and growing experience here--all the Lycoris other than Lycoris radiata radiata (no typo there) seem to have their own unique little "quirks" for me.

edited to correct my complete inability to write a coherant sentence tonight.....

This message was edited Oct 24, 2006 8:35 PM

I know that L. squamigera can fail to bloom in the deep south, but I couldn't tell you why. Too much heat?

I am trying to get Amaryllis belladonna to bloom here. It is known not to do well....too cold in the winter?

I have two clumps in the ground now. One was potted up and dry for the summer and is now about 6-7 inches up, and the other were bulbs that were forced into early dormancy last spring, unpotted and stored dry. The second lot began to grow roots in late summer, so I put them in the ground. They haven't broken the surface yet, but there are very tiny leaf tips emerging.

Robert.

I know we can't grow belladonna due to heat. I thought maybe your zone would be good Robert. As close as I can come is x amarcrinum, but it does extremely well for me and blooms solid from May 25- Aug 20. That's real good for the temps we have all summer.

Nevada, TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie,
Does x amarcrinum also take time to settle in? I acquired 8 bulbs and planted them early spring in pots. The foliage was healthy, but no flowers. Should I bring the pots in during the winter?

Robert,
I second Debbie on the Thad Howard book.

amarcrinum in the ground, in the ground, in the ground. Yes, like crinums they have to be of size to bloom.

Sorry, Robert, I missed this thread a few times.I am sure the spider lillies I have are red,but the foilage is 6-8 inches tall,and striped lightly,verticly.Sorry but thats about it,except, maybe the with is about 1/4" wide.Mike

Mike--
They are lycoris radiata

I don't know the actual size that A. belladonna needs to qualify as blooming size, so I may have assumed that mine just haven't bloomed but are old or large enough.

I'll have to check on that....

Brent and Becky's say that Amarcrinum might be a better choice for the southeast--but don't say whay....So since mine have been doing OK for some years but haven't bloomed, I could "relate" to that.

Anyone know what blooming size is re: a. belladonna and Amarcrinum?

Robert.

Sounds like L radiata to me too.

Not sure why you didn't get any blooms except that maybe they are too young this year.

Robert.

Amarcrinum is a reliable and the best bloomer I have. Dmail me and I'll link you to alot of pics of mine Robert.
I don't trust anything B&B says since they've been called in on the carpet too many times for selling bulbs that aren't what are advertised.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.