Possible new GH for me

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi all,

Well I've been drooling and reading about everyones GH's and I really want one so bad. My biggest problem is space. I have been searching all over the web for a size that would fit into my small space and I found 2 this week that just might work.

I will be using this for mostly seed starting, as I don't have to use it for storing plants because our climate is so mild. I tried to start my seeds inside last year, like many of you easterners do, but I don't do very well.

Could you please take a look at this simple GH http://www.gardeners.com/Fast-Start-Greenhouse/default/33-240.prd and tell me what you think about it for my simple use. I need to have it only 4 ft. deep, as that is all the space I have. It will be backed up to the side of my house. It doesn't say if you need to attach it to a base, and a base it not mentioned for an additional cost. It is on sale right now, so that's why my DH said I could have it for an early birthday gift (my birthday isn't until Dec. ). lol

If you could give me some questions that I might ask them before purchasing, I'd really appreciate it. So....what do you think?

Donna

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

It looks nice. By the measurements, it's a hair over 4 feet. 1 1/4 inches so if you truely only have 4 feet you might have trouble. BUt as i said before..looks like a nice little greenhouse!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I would give them a call and ask if it needs a base. Most GH do because wind will drag them or knock them over since most are very lightweight. Certainly worth a call before you spend your money.

MollyD

Jazz,

I have about 5 ft. depth that I can work with. That gives me a few inches from the wall of the house and a few more inches on the door side from the walk way. It will be between my fireplace and a window on the side of my house. This is where I have a short rubbermaid type storage bin for my garden supplies. I can move it over in front/under the window and use that space for the GH. Man, I just need more ROOM!!! lol

Donna

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

Donna, if you only have 5ft to work with, it looks to me that you would'nt have enough room to open the door. John

John, There is a walkway that stops me from having the GH any larger, but the doorway can open onto the walkway when I need to.

Thanks for thinking of that though. :-)
Donna

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Donna, for the size of greenhouse you need, do you think you could custom build it to fit your space for about the same price? I'm wondering if there is someone local that sells either polycarb or glass for a decent price? You could use treated, stained or painted lumber. One good aspect of doing it yourself would be that you could make the height anything you want. You could also do the design to match the surrondings. I was pricing 10mm polycarb (which would probably be overkill for you) and it would only cost me about $1000 to cover my 15x15 barn. Another idea is to make two sides out of sliding glass doors so you could use it as a pass through when it's not in use. I think eweed used sliding doors for his but I could be wrong.

I'm still waiting to hear what you find out from the company. :) I'd love for you to have your greenhouse!

Michele,
I would love to be able to build one myself, buy haven't found any plans/instructions to use yet. I did look into that before I found this GH. In fact, that's how I found this one, by putting 'GH plans' into google.

What I can't figure out is how to attach the polycarb to the wood, or how to install the door. I am usually very good on figuring out patterns and plans on many things, but for some reason this one stumps me. If I could find some well written plans, I could probably do it myself. DH is NOT a handyman at all. All the tools in my garage are mine and he buys them for me as gifts. lol
If anyone finds some easy plans, send me the links....lol

BRB,
Donna

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Morning Donna!

There is a little washer type assembly with a screw or nail that you can use to screw the polycarb to the wood without ruining the polycarb. I've also seen U channels and H channels that allow you drop in the panels. I've also seen some that snap on so you can remove them when it's too warm, like for a sunroom. That is what made me think of using sliding glass doors. You might find those on freecycle or somewhere for free.

Since you are doing a fairly small space, I wouldn't think you'd need lumber any closer than 18-24" for your stud wall. You'd also just need a lumber frame to put in a door.

Can you send me or post a picture of the space?

I really think you could custom build this for the same price or less and have it be you rather than a kit. :)

I'll go take a picture right now for ya'll. lol

BTW, here is another one I found http://www.gardenstyles.com/Catalog/Greenhouses-and-Greenhouse-Kits/Best-Value-Greenhouses/Best-Value-Starter-Greenhouse.asp
The only thing wrong with this one is that there isn't any vents!

BRB,
Donna

Ok, here are 3 pic I just took of this area. Since that side area is narrow, I couldn't stand back any further to take the pics.
I use this area for my veggie garden (tomatos) which are still growing for me right now and also for temporary plants in pots for trading or giving away. That's what that hugh Brug is doing there. It has grown through the pot and I will be removing it real soon.

I can move the storage bin under the window and completely change that area if I have a GH. There are homemade pavers under the unit right now and will stay there as a floor for the GH.

Thumbnail by SoCal

pic 2

Thumbnail by SoCal

pic 3

Thumbnail by SoCal

I have to leave for the day shortly, so if you don't see me responding all day, you'll know why. I'll be home later tonight.

Thanks all for your help.
Donna

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, just to make sure everyone understands....you want to put it up against the house, running left to right between the chimney and window? Would the door open onto the walkway then? I have lots of ideas but so far as I know, building a lean to/attaching to the house requires a ton of zoning bleck. LOL Otherwise I'd tell ya to build a lean to and put a door where that window is. Of course it's not my money either. LOL

I think it's very doable! I think you can do it too! Hubby is getting ready to run out the door and I have some things to do but I'll come back later.

I can't get the pics to enlarge right now. Not sure if it's DG or me. Grrrr. How high is the decorative brick above the window?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Geesh! I just had total lockout. LOL That post took about 1/2 an hour to go!

Yeah, DG just went to "blank" for me too, but seems ok now.

There is no decorative brick above the window, the house is all stucco. Yes, I would like the door to face front if possible.

I have to leave now, be back tonight.
Donna

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8b)

If all you are going to do is seed propagation, maybe a smaller unit might work. Here is one from FarmTek, you could get a couple of these.

http://www.farmtek.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&productId=10375&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&parent_category_rn=11704&top_category=&breadcrumb_trail=%7CGreenhouses+%26+Accessories%7CPatio+Growhouses&breadcrumb_categoryIds=%7C11701%7C11704&isDoc=

Cut and paste this link in your browser.
Paul

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8b)

I guess you don't have to cut and Paste. The hyper link works great..Doh!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Donna! I could see the ridge and with the small picture, it looked to be a row of decorative brick.

Thanks for the link Paul. I was looking at those smaller units too.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Yeah, Dave has this site set up pretty nice. :)

Sorry I didn't get back here last night, but didn't get home till 10pm and I was bushed.
I'm also having some puter problems (don't know what the problem is yet). It keeps locking up on us. That's why I haven't been hear this morning.

Paul, that is a cute little seed starting gh, and it's probably what I should just get.....but, I know if I get it, I would still always want a walk in type.

I am going to go to Lowe's and HD right now and just check out if they have any books on building a GH and also what supplies they carry to build one, if I decide to do that.

Michele, did you come up with any other ideas? lol

BBL,
Donna

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Donna
go to my house in Fountain Valley & look at the one i built
http://www.strever.com/FV/FV_0021.JPG
it is 5 ft wide by any length you want :-)
my son is staying in the house until i sell it
i will send you a DG mail with my tele #

Dick

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Dick, Did you use corrugated pvc on that one? It looks like a cozy little place for you and your plants. :)

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

SoCal, I was thinking that to attach the poly to the frame you could use 1x1s of cedar or treated wood to make your own H channels. If you have a brad nailer it would be a snap to put together. You could use silicone to seal the poly in.. Here is one of my infamous "paint" renderings of what I am talking about.. it's a view from the top

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Michele
in Orange County where Donna lives & i use to it is a tropical zone almost 11
so yes i only used the corrugated fiberglass not PVC
i did try PVC on a patio cover & it only lasted about 4 years
the fiberglass is still going strong after 15 years

Dick

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

OH! I am such a dork!! LOL I knew PVC wasn't right when I typed it but nothing else occured to me. LOL I do know that is fiberglass. Good grief! I think the kids have finally sucked out my last good brain cell. ;) It is still very nice and cozy looking.

Guess I've been MIA for a few days. This darn computer keeps freezing up on us and doesn't want to work right. Going to have someone look at it this week....it's 6 yrs. old, so might be time for a new one.

Dick, thanks for your help. If I do decide to build my own, I will take you up on the offer to go look at yours. You don't still have some plans for making that do you?

Jazz, that's a great drawing you did. I completely understand what you saying to do with the polycarb panels.

I did go to Lowes after I said I was and was very surprised that they didn't have any books or magazines on GH's. They had hundreds of books on how to make everything else, but no GH's. I did check on their polycarb panels....they carry them in large 4x8 sheets and larger too. I was going to continue on to HD, but wandered into the nursery area first and found a fantastic bargin. They had 3 large shelving units full of distressed plants and they were going for $.25-1.00. They were mostly perennials that were going dormant, so they looked bad...but since most of the workers don't know that, they think their dying. lol I came home with 3 dwarf Kangaroo paws @$1.00, Cyclamen @ $.25, Siam lily $.50 and 5 -l gallon Snapdragons for $.50 apiece. They all just need a little care, and I got me some nice new plants.

I looked up some books on line at Barnes and Nobles and there is a new book coming out in Dec. 06 on how to build GH's. I wish it was now!! I am going to continue my search to see what I can come up with. I have time before I have to plant my spring seeds.

I really do appreciate you all helping me. This is a big project for me to handle and I hope I do the right thing.

Donna

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Sounds like it might be time for me to re-check Lowes and HD for some bargains!

carol

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Morning Donna! I'm still thinking about you and your greenhouse. :) Hey, in the picture, there is a window next to where you want your greenhouse. What is on the other side of that window (bathroom, kitchen, laundry?)? We were down working on the other house yesterday and a couple of ideas hit me so I roughly slapped them on paper. I got to wondering about that window though.

Congrats on the plant finds! I ran to a few stores after another Ohio person said she got a 5' Japanese Maple at Walmart for $45. Of course I coudn't find any! LOL Home Depot still has them for $129, not the fancy one I want and not looking the best either. Piff!

What's on the other side of that window? It is the guest bedroom. The only bedroom on the first floor. If we had extra money, I would love to have had french doors put in and have it go right into a solorium type greenhouse. Now, do you have a couple thousand "I" can borrow. lol

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

ROTFLOL If *I* had a couple thousand RIGHT now, that would be some kind of miracle. LOL But, I would give it to you if I had it. :)

The reason I said that, is because you have said that to me many times this past year when you wanted to buy your house and buy a large greenhouse. I was just asking for some of it back. lol You know if would share with you too. :-)

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Sounds lovely....
Found this while googling
You may want to win the lottery first.
http://www.renaissanceconservatories.com/greenhouse.asp

Might be some ideas for you in their garden window section Donna.
carol

OOOOHHHH Carol, that is a lovely site and I was drooling for sure. I'll let you know if and when we do win the lottery. Dh play every week!!

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

my orange county GH/potting shed covers a window on the side of the house
but it is only the dining room on the other side
here was the view looking into the GH/potting shed

This message was edited Oct 22, 2006 9:22 AM

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

and this was my solution
it did cost a little extra :-)

Thumbnail by Strever
Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh pretty solution! I adore stained glass. Now to heat your garden shed, you just open the window? Or I guess in Orange County, heat is rarely necessary?

Baton Rouge, LA(Zone 8b)

Awsome!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Donna!

Will you send me a picture of the side of your house, from straight on, that goes a bit higher than the others?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.