Got a bad bag of my favorite brand of potting mix

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've been hearing good things about coarser, bark-based mixes lately, especially for larger containers... will be giving it a try, thanks!

I got some Miracle Gro mix from Sam's last spring that was far coarser than their norm and not well suited to the little seedling trays and cell packs I wanted to fill for starting veggies from seed... but I used it in some larger containers, and it was great there.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I use Jungle Growth for everything with the exception of seed starting. The JG has a coarser consistency and has worked great for me for many years although I understand it is not available in most states. It is bark based with some peat moss, perlite etc.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

We use Sun Gro- Sunshine Mix #3 at our work. We use it to grow grass seedlings. Have used it for almost 20 years and haven't been disappointed yet. Is kind of expensive ($24). We buy the compacted 3.6 cu ft size. But will go a ways tho.
Carol

Hi Critter! Hello Everyone!

I’ll trade ‘ja yer (bad) Pro Mix – for my new bags of (good?) Miracle Gro mix. LOL! Like you, I prefer ProMix and now I know why! We purchase bales upon bales of it each season.

One of the EB/Tomato enthusiasts on DG swears by MG mix so we bought four large bags to tide us over until the ProMix arrives. In addition, I wanted to re-evaluate Miracle Gro mix in case I misjudged it in previous trials. NOPE. I did not misjudge it.

Miracle Gro soil less mix has the same basic composition as ProMix (as you claimed) with the exception of what they claim is “composted forest material” (or something to that effect.) I was upset to find a substantial quantity of raw rough bark, non-decomposed wood shavings, and essentially filler-wood debris in the mix! Grrrrrrr! The texture and quality was much like the cheaper “rose mix” local nurseries sell with their house name printed on the bag for use in flower beds.

The fact that it contained green wood and not decomposed or composted wood is not in dispute as some of the material is still blonde. When one is accustomed to using a finer blend from ProMix, Miracle Gro seems like redwood mulching bark! It surely is not appropriate for planting finer seeds like lettuce. I had to scrounge around for any remaining ProMix to top off my planters before I could plant my seeds.

MC is a very contentious mix for refined plantings, I was quite annoyed! - I think I will go fill my aggression bat with sand! LOL&L

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Even with that texture, you would not have wanted the stinky bag of Pro Mix instead!

I'd recommend the coarse MG mix for larger containers... as stressbaby pointed out, the larger particle size is actually a really good thing for container plants... it's just not so ideal for seedling trays!

If you can't find Pro Mix, maybe you can check out the Lowe's signature brand... podster (also in TX), scroll up) said it's Sun Gro mix, which I've heard is a good, fine-textured mix.

Critter, lol. Thanks for the info. Our supplier was temporarily out of stock. Translation: Christmas trees are higher dollar ticket items for the coveted winter space. Something tells me the supplier should be re-stocking PM very soon. (Just a premonition-thingie, wink.) take care.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

petit, it is always hard to get peatmoss mixes in this time of year-everyone is sold out and awaiting shipments from Canada. I managed to get 2 pallet loads this past week-and it was driving me crazy going without it! Its an awful feeling isn't it?? lol Early January, they will all have it again. I have 5 more pallet loads coming the 2nd week of January.

TWO pallet loads? ---- Hey Everybody, now we know where all the potting mix went....:)

tigerlily - We have not been able to source items like Jiffy Mix for propagation needs after September when they clear the way for pumpkins. The nurserymen look at us weird and remind us that they stock such items for spring planting season only. Ah, we have a problem here, HOUSTON…it is 75 - 80 degrees out there many days. Is there some growing ordinance against winter vegetable gardens? Last year some of our most enjoyable crops grew in winter. :)

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

lol I wanted all the pallets now, but they didn't get that much in, so they had to split it. I am almost done with one pallet load, and now I think I better pace myself....nothing worse than running it out when you need it! Can you stockpile some in the early fall? Generally I don't like keeping it for over 6 months, but that should be ok.
Petit, while you are looking to get some-have you compared other types of the baled peatmoss/perlite/verm mixes-like Berger or Sunshine? They are the same as Promix, but considerably cheaper. I have never understood why Promix was so much more-even before they started to add the fungicides to them-which personally, I don't think is worth the extra cost. I asked my suppliers if they thought it was better and they all said that it wasn't and that other growers didn't think it was worth it. I pay about $ 17.50 per bale for Sunshine, and Berger was $ 16.50/bale. I think Promix (w/out the fungicide) is $23.50/bale-big difference!

tigerlily, lol….” while you are looking to get some-have you compared other types of the baled peatmoss/perlite/verm mixes-like Berger or Sunshine?”

Sunshine Burgers??? Ain’t them those tofu-thingies? I have had them with sprouts and avocado, but I kaint say as I have had them with peat moss or vermiculite. I’ll have to try dat. :))

So let me picture this tigerlily: when your neighbors hear “beep….beep….beep” backing down their road, they know to scatter because tomatoe harvest is three-four months in their future. lol&l

We felt fortunate to locate ProMix now you are confusing me with Sunshine Bergers! No, really, that is good to look for. I do read all the labels for straight PM/P/V without additives for alternative sources but have not found any to date. It is a real hoot buying this stuff; we have a 1980 Cadillac that we use as our nursery truck. It is older than the kids that load it for us and they are amazed by it. My husband gets a kick out of their reaction. I think DH said he could fit six bales in the humongous trunk and still close it. Thank you again for the information.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.