Louisiana Iris

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've just returned from the annual Bulb Mart by the Houston Garden Club. I bought a number of Louisiana Iris and can't find information on two of the cultivars. Is anyone familiar with Carolyn LaPointe (pink) or Top Notch (red)? I know different cultivars reach different heights and would like to know about how tall to expect these to get. I have some Jeri that get over 3 feet tall and an unknown blue that's only about 14 inches so I don't know whether to put these at the back or front of the bed. All help appreciated.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I tried to look these up for you in the iris register, but it's down this weekend. Most likely for updates. I'll try again later.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks very much Joan and can you tell me what the iris register is? I knew there had to be someplace to register the names, like daylilies, but don't know how to access it. Is it open for anyone to look or only registered members? Thanks again.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

The iris register is here www.irisregister.com It's part of the American Iris Society website. You do have to subscribe to use the register. The whole site appears to be offline, or I would try to find you more information about it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't know Carolyn, but Top Notch is one of the one's I considered getting, and is listed at 3'. (I didn't decide against it for any reason, other than I only wanted to try three my first time with them).

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Both of them are older than 1993 which means I have to "wade" through my CD's from the Louisiana Iris Society Data Base--their site is up. I'll try to find out for you in the next few days if Joan can't.

Anyone can use the SLI webpages but it only has registrations from 1993 until the present. I'm a member of SLI (but not the AIS--I don't grow any but LA's--but I grow a lot of LA's) so I have the SLI directories on CD's. Here's the website:
http://www.louisianas.org/welcome.html

Debbie

Top Notch--42", mid-season, med red standards over darker red falls, yellow dagger signal (hybridizer Arny 1980)

Carolyn LaPoint--Rose-pink, mid-season, 36" (hybridizer Arny 1973)

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 1:23 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks to everyone for the input and Debbie, I appreciate the lookup. Did you go to the bulb mart? It ran Thursday, Friday and Saturday and I should have gone earlier and not waited until the last day. Most of the few things I wanted were already gone. I'm off to plant my new babies. Thanks again everyone!

One more question.... I have La Iris in a another bed that have been there for two years. I was going to move some of them to another spot. I've read the directions for dividing them, but most of mine seem to have one really long rhizome (about 6") and several sets of leaves coming off this, but no pups to the sides. What do I do whith these? Replant the whole thing or divide it or has it bloomed it's last?

Thanks for all the help since I'm fairly new to these.

Crowelli--
I work at the bulb and plant mart every year on Thursday--I've been a member of HGC for 20 yrs.

If you dmail me I have a good printout from Patrick O'Connor (the hybridizer) in New Orleans on just your questions. You will love LA's...I have grown them for 20 years now. Its the plant that got me started on my gardening addiction. Maybe next year we can swap a few cultivars.I'm proud to say my LA's are put to bed for the winter and I'm not touching them again this year (as oppossed to the rest of my garden which is in a state of controlled chaos)! =)
Debbie

edited to add: I would cut and paste that info on here but its on a pdf file so I would need to email it--it also has great care and reproducing tips and procedures.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 1:17 PM

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Here's the information from AIS. It's finally up again after being down all weekend.

TOP NOTCH

(C. Arny. R. 1980). Sdlg. Bit-R-l-78. LA 42" (107 cm) M.
S. medium red; F. darker red; deep yellow dagger-shaped signal. Mrs. Ira Nelson X Freddie Boy. Charjoy 1980.

CAROLYN LAPOINT

(C. Arny, R. 1973). LA 36" (91 cm) M.
Rose-pink self; yellow signal. Katherine L. Cornay X Katherine L. Cornay. Charjoy 1973.

Here's the AIS membership info: http://www.irises.org/member.htm

I thought they also had a rate where you could only subscribe to the register, but I coudn't find that information.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

The rate to subscribe to the on-line register is found through a link on the main page of the Checklist Database.
http://www.irisregister.com/.

** Look for the sentence in the middle of the page that reads:"In order to access and search the database you must have an ID and Password and pay an annual subscription fee. For more information and instructions, click here."
............and then click there.

The subscription fee for access to the irisregister database search engine is:
1yr - $10.00; 3yr - $28.00; 5yr - $45.00; 10yr - $85.00 (All amounts in USD$

Make sure you follow ALL the directions before you send your check in..................it'll make life easier for you. :-) I found it's worth it's weight in gold, or at least in irises.

~ Margie

Edited to say - "Well done Joan and dmj1218 - - for steering them in the right direction." :-)

This message was edited Oct 16, 2006 8:36 PM

The LA Iris database is free to the public through 1993--it only costs if you want the older varieties.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.