Preparing cuttings for mailing

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Several months ago someone wrote a step-by-step procedure for mailing cuttings. I thought I had saved it, but if I actually did, I have since lost it. It was such a good explanation and I'm disappointed not to have it.

I wish I remembered who it was who wrote it, but I don't. So would someone be so kind as to give me suggestions for successful mailing?

Many thanks.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi,
If it's the one I'm think of, the person slits cardboard tubes like from TP or paper towels lengthwise to wrap around the cuttings, I forgot what was done to protect the bottoms. I dampen paper towels for the bottoms, stick in plastic sandwich bags, tape around to prevent moisture loss but use a gentle tape like making tape. In the summer to prevent transpirational loss through leaves, I cut a soda or water bottle to fit the cutting; I spray the leaves and fit the plastic dome over and secure it. If I root cuttings to trade, I do them in 9 oz plastic disposable cups with holes poked in the bottoms; then the cut-off water bottles fit in the cups exactly to preserve humidity, just tape together.

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/643624/

Here's a link to a thread where I got advice about propagating and mailing cuttings. Aparently there's a discussion of mailing cuttings on the trading primer. It worked for me.

Mattituck, NY(Zone 7b)

I just love this site! So much helpful information...

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow! Thanks for all the info - if I can't learn to mail something safely from all of that, I'm useless!!!

Again, thank you all. I'm excited to keep learning and learning and learning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.