Slow start on new rock garden

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Last year I had an area set aside for a rock garden, built up with some soil, covered with landscape fabric so it wouldn't go totally to weeds, and then covered with river rock. Just this fall I have finally caught up with some other garden projects and I'm finally able to put a few plants into the rock garden. Unfortunately, the soil under the the landscape fabric has proven to be pretty much pure clay, so I am cutting out small parts of the landscape fabric, digging out the clay, amending the soil underneath, and then planting, moving back in some of the river rock and gravel. It's going to be slow going.

The garden is adjacent to a heather garden that is planted with a collection of dwarf conifers (one of the projects I have been working on that has delayed the rock garden). I will be needing to bring in more large rocks and moving the ones that are here (the landscaper laid them out in a nice U shape, which is not even close to the more natural look I am going for).

Here's a couple of different views of the heather/conifer garden with the rock garden

gram ~a girl~

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

here is a little vignette that kind of centers around a little Chamaecyparis lawsonii 'Treasure Island'. below it is Thymus serphyllum 'Minus', to the left is Dianthus 'Rachel', and to the right is Sempervivum 'Kalinda'.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

since that last pic was taken I added a Veronica prostrata 'Dick's Wine' in a crack between the bigger rocks.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

and some other plants

arabis 'Spring Charm'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Armeria 'Nifty Thrifty'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Sempervivum 'Rose Queen'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Thymus quinquecostatus ibukiensis (I love thymes - have 10 different kinds growing in various places)

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Verbena canadensis 'Toronto'

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I still have bulbs coming for Tulipa humilis Persian Pearl & Narcissus obvallaris 'The Tenby'. Also a DG friend sent some some little wood sorrel bulbs that I will try to start for spring. I have seed for edelweiss to try. definitely a work in progress, but it's a start.

I'll finish up with a collage of the new dwarf conifers that I just added to the heather garden. It includes the little Lawson Cypress in the rock garden.

Thumbnail by grampapa
somewhere, PA

I'd say a terrific start on your rock garden!!!! I can't wait to see these guys in
bloom next spring. And what a lovely large area you've got there with conifers
& heathers/heaths as well as your rock garden. Just terrific.

Tam

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Wonderful rock garden in a lovely setting. You've worked hard on this one!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks, Tam & Weez. It'll take a couple of years, but I have high hopes.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I recognize your work in progress from another thread too. Really shaping up. Just can't help to think that all your neighbors (including the ones across the pond) are all peering over in envy.

I just got Nifty Thrifty this fall for a trough too. Looks like part of yours is reverting to all green.

(Zone 5a)

Gram - your garden is shaping up nicely! I bet it's going to look pretty good next spring! If you ever get seed off your Veronica prostrata 'Dick's Wine' keep me in mind! I have the regular blue one and just love it - I'd love to get different colors:-) I'm expecting photos when it flowers ;-)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks, all

lefty, that little thrift shouldn't have had time to revert. if it's already lost the variegation, I think I need to talk to the vendor.

rann, I don't even have a pic of that veronica, but it sounded so pretty I bought it sight unseen. if I ever get seed it's yours! just try to keep me from posting photos lol

(Zone 5a)

thanks gram! I'm looking forward to seeing those photos!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't think that reversion on Nifty Thrifty is a vendor issue. Many plants have such a tendency, through no fault of the grower. I would just remove the all green part. Or if you want a more vigorous all green plant, remove it in the spring, and you'll have a good chance rerooting.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

All I meant about the vendor is that he sent it to me that way. it would be nice if they started out as advertised :-)you've got a good idea about waiting until spring and dividing it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.