lantana

Gulfport, MS

My lantana had grown so bit and dense it was blocking my view from the driveway and I asked my husband to cut it back and he scalped it! What do you think will happen to it now?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They're pretty tough, I think it'll come back

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I know they will come back. The only time you do not prune lantana is late Nov thru early Mar. If you prune then, they will not come back (I know, I've done it). Otherwise, prune away!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have been told that these stems are hollow and if they take in too much water (rain), it can rot the roots. I wonder if that is why Nov thru Mar is bad ~ the rainy season... maybe!

yep, that's right. not just rain, but melted snow, even a light dusting could cause the rotting.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I usually prune my lantana at least twice a year to control size...(during growing season)....I have done a radical pruning (remaining stalks only 12-14" tall) before without any noticeable consequences.
They're tough!

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi, Does anyone know abt rooting cuttings? Hard/ easy??? Anyone from N take lantana in greenhouse to overwinter? dixie

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

Catlover,
We're very near to you; we usually cut ours back to just above the ground after the first frost or so and leave it all in the ground. It has come back year after year with vigor. Mine is climbing up and over my chain link fence (train a few stems and just sit back). Sounds like you just cut yours early. I wouldn't worry.

David

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

dixie

I have my lantana in a hanging planter and overwinter in the house. It is very easy to root tip cuttings...I just cut and shove down into the soil in the pot.

Jan

so jan, yours doesn't die back at all?

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Jan. Thanks so much. Ill try rooting some. Dixie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.