Trade: Blackberry lillies for Toad lillies

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I have blackberry lilies and seeds if anyone would like to trade for toad lilies (need something that can take some shade) also have some daffodil bulbs that I would trade too.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey, neighbor!

Have you had any luck with Toad Lilies? I have been buying them for several years bareroot and have never had any luck in Thomasville, GA. Any info would be very much appreciated!

plantnutga

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

No I havn't ever had any yet, I was hopeing though, I had blackberry lilies in North AL before I moved here, and planted seed last year that didn't bloom this year since I overestimated the amount of sun they would get next to elephant ears (aka I underestimated the amount of growth of the elephant ears.) they did put on a lot of foliage though.

Why didn't the toad lilies work out for you? I was hoping they would have about the same needs.

Got any good nurseries up there in GA? (and how amazing is this weather, it makes me want to work outside all the time!!)

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

sorry it took me so long to answer! It has been a busy week.

Yes, the weather is gorgeous!!!!!!!! I have really enjoyed it.

I'm not sure why the toad lilies didn't work out. I'm trying them in a couple of places this year. We are in such a different part of the country, it's hard to tell! I know they do great in Atlanta and in North Carolina. I hope it's just that the stock you can buy locally is poor.

Thomasville has only one nursery, nothing special. Tallahassee nursery, Esposito's and Tallahassee Native nursery are way better. I've found some nice suppliers further north in GA.....

I worked for several years at wholesale nurseries in S. GA and N. FL, there's lots of great plant lovers around here. I was certified a year and a half ago as a Florida Certified Landscape Professional, which took a lot of work and a killer test, but I'm out of the industry now.

By the way, considering your post re: daffodils, did you know that the Florida Daffodil Society is based out of Tallahassee? They have a fantastic book on heirloom daffodils, and their annual sale is in November. Pretty cool, huh?

Erin (plantnutga)

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That book is good for all of the gulf coast states in my opinion. You are talking "Daffodils in Florida" by Linda and Sara Van Beck, right?

I need more blackberry lily seeds myself--lots of flowers but not much seed produced this year, go figure. I guess the bees were busy somewhere else; like my coral vine and clerodendrum ugandense. They stay so thick on those plants I can hardly trim them back. Silly insects!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Ok I am Confused.
I thought Toad lilies and Blackberry Lilies were the same

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I could be wrong but...(I'm sure about the colors but not the sun requirements)
It is my understanding that Toadlilies are a blue/purple and can stand partial sun/shade, while blackberry lilies are variations of orange/yellow and to my knowledge need full sun. The seed are similar to daylilies (plants first year and flowers the second) and are in the iris family rather than the lily family.

I havn't seen the book, but have heard of it. (I've spent all my money on plants and none left for books that i can't buy on half.com)

I have heard about the Fl Daffodil Society and seen their website, but didn't know about this annual sale you speak of, tell me more (when and where) much to the fiance's dismay I may could find a dollar or two to spend on some MORE bulbs. ;-)

Blackberry lilies bloom the first year for me from fall sown seed--by the following July to be exact.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

some of mine bloomed the first year and some of them didn't bloom until the next year and they are in full sun from 7 am till 9 at night in the summer (on top of a mountain in AL) in very fertile soil, I don't always cut off all the seeds so maybe some of them didn't seed until later.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The toad lilies I have tried to grow are totally different from Blackberry lilies. Even the botanical names are very different. I've never been able to keep Toad Lilies(Trycoris ??) vs. (I'm drawing a mental blank here and can't find a catalog)for the blackberry lily.

At one time Powell Gardens of Kansas City, MO had 52 different varieties of the Blackberry Lily. Some intern had gone thru the plants and noted all the different heights, petal differences, color patterns and combinations, etc. I had the privilege of removing all of them and getting to keep some of each one. They all did fine in containers but when I planted them they all died but 2 or 3. The soil didn't drain well enough for them. I now have only 2 colors, the orange with black spots and a purple with spots. Park Seeds has the seeds for something like 100 for $5 or $6. Someday I plan to buy a package or more from them so I can have more. The birds must eat our seeds because they spread very slowly here.

Blackberry lilies are known to be short-lived perennials, even down here.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

wow, this is educative, thy look so similar, I never would have guessed how different they were. I'm also surprised to learn that they are short lived in TX I have had them at my dad's for the last 5 years and they are bigger and better every year.

They may be reseeding. Even Howard's Bulbs for warm Seasons agrees they are short-lived. They will bloom from fall sown seed the following summer.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

The blackberry lily I have is Belamcamda Chinensis... I have a couple different colors but have never seen purple. (That's one to lust after... ) I keep them in pots and so far, are doing well.
http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/viewentry.php?rid=110359

The toad lily Tricyrtis on the other hand is suffering at my hand. I am torn between euthanizing it or let if suffer an agonizing demise as I am so disappointed...
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51730/index.html

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I really don't think so, because they keep coming back in the same clumps where I originally planted them, and where strays are coming up they are much smaller than in the old "clumps." However, we have kept them very well mulched over in the winter and since my father's house is on a chiken farm he often gets amazing results, (bigger and better than things should be) so maybe that is the answer there is fertilizer in the air. (The past 3 years the flower stalks have been 5 ft tall or better)

Then that's not blackberry lily--no where near 5'.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

That is the flower stalk, not the actual plant itself, the leaves only reach about 2 ft or 2 1/2, but It definitly is I assure you, at my house in FL they have not gotten anywhere near that big or even at my aunt's house, flower stalk around 2 1/2 or 3 ft

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

It looks exactly like this ... http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/41/index.html

and has the same woven looking foliage that podsters link shows

Oh Boy, let me find a chicken farm but... Ugh! the odor of the farm...

I find that difficult to believe.

Actually, I can see that they would get that tall. Mine were potted and the zigzagging foliage grew 2 1/2 to 3 feet long in a pot. I say long because being in a pot they tended to flop but the flower stalks stand tall.
I know not all gardeners are enamoured of the Sunset National Garden Book but... they state that the flower stems alone can be 3-4 feet tall. Under the proper conditions, I feel certain they would grow well. There are variations of this also, being crossed with the Vesper Iris to creat a group of hybrids which is where the variety of colors come from.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Podster, thank you for coming up with the correct name of the Blackberry liliy. I did think of it much later but didn't get back on the computer to get it posted.

Mine are both long lived clumps(perennials)and sprouted seeds. I can easily tell from the size of the plant. And not all first year plants seem to bloom. It ap to depend on when that seed sprouted. But I do love them. I've been bold and dmailed a couple people on the PF pictures to request starts or seeds. I'm not ashamed to beg. LOL.

Leaflady ~ If I caught your post earlier, how fun to have had your job at Powell Gardens. I only have two (blackberry lilies ~ not jobs). : )) One was called the blackberry lily... the other the candy lily although I am not sure it is. It doesn't have the spotted petals. Otherwise it is identical. http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/showimage.php?eid=107681

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

My toad lilies are going great. Crazy things are still blooming in the cold. They do bloom in the fall but I didn't realize they would still be okay. I do like them.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone, thanks to the "latest posts" now available on the home page, I found this. Toad Lily, Candy Lily and Blackberry Lily are different. I would say that Candy and Blackberry are similar. I do have Toad Lily seeds for trade if you are still interested.

Anita

Candy and Blackberry lilies will intercross producing interesting hybrids. None of which attain heights of 5'.

While perusing the PDN catalogue in search of the unusual, I found this item and remembered this thread. http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/05376.html

Quoting:
iris-like rosettes produce 4'+ tall spikes, topped with clusters of 2" tigridia-like flowers

Mininissandog ~ could that be what your DD has growing? BTW, mine are definitely perennial and are starting new growth right now. Since this thread, I have also tracked down some purple BBLs and look forward to their blooms. pod

South Hamilton, MA

I think that blackberry lily is one of the common names for Pachysandra--spelling not the best.

I think the Pachysandras are known as spurge... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=pachysandra
And your spelling was excellent according to my book... LOL pod

South Hamilton, MA

Good spelling because I posted the wrong plant. I meant Pardancanda.Oh well, it starts with P.

And ended with an "a"! LOL

The Belamcamda chinensis is commonly called the blackberry lily.
As I understand it, Pardancanda norrisii is known as the candy lily. It is a cross between the Blackberry lily and the Vesper iris. The candy lily produces similar blooms as the blackberry lily but bears flowers in a variety of colors, including white, yellow, red, pink and purple.

I would love to see a Vesper iris but they are not common as they are not showy.

South Hamilton, MA

The higher ups (not growers) keep changing the name, although they are irids.

The constant name changing makes me pull hair. I think I know what I have and find I am wrong again!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.