Flowering dogwood question...

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

The path that nearly broke my back. That stone is heavy.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2006 4:25 PM

Thumbnail by snapple45
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Sitting in the arbor. Which is about all I could do after trugging around all that stone.

As all gardens are, it is a work in progress.

Thanks for your kind words.

Thumbnail by snapple45
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Ah, gemini-sage, how wise you were in the placement of your Hikuro Nishiki. Every spring I approach it with pruners and a chainsaw and toss a coin!

Thornton, IL

Oh Good Heavens be careful with that chainsaw! I am so loving your garden, I kinda thought Neal would too, LOL. Makes me want to go on a Magical Mystery Tour, and see everyone else's garden, with yours and Neal's at the top of my list. With a few shovels and empty pots stashed in the trunk. :0)
Thanks Neal for saying what I meant to say Pete, I wish someone would post a picture of a mature Heptacodium that looked good, not a mock up. Maybe that's the real reason it didn't do so well upon it's introduction.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Heptacodium picture. My experience with the plant is not quite as dire as PA Pete's, but I do believe the hype has been a wee bit excessive. I occasionally get a canker, but I prune out the infected stem and nothing seems the worse for it. Flower performance is good. Calyx performance better. Fall color: none. I really, really do like the bark. Almost Stewartia sinensis-like, if one simply pulls away the exfoliated strips.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Heptacodium bark.

Scott

Thumbnail by Decumbent
Thornton, IL

Whew, I feel better now. That looks pretty good.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I might add this: Plants I've seen in absolute full sun have always seemed less happy than those that get a little shade.

Scott

somewhere, PA

Snapple - just glorious! And that you did so much of that work yourself is amazing!
You can come visit me any time you like - lots to do here.

Tam

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Uh, Tammy I still can't walk fully upright. That was several tons of flagstone. A visit would have to be a little less strenous. LOL Decumbent those pictures clinched it for me. The heptacodium is definitely on my spring 2007 list. It will be in light shade part of the day. I really like the multistem form.

somewhere, PA

Well - I was thinking of a um, errr... a "participatory" visit. Sorry - bad
joke. Its my father's favorite & I always was a daddy's girl. He is always
asking me "come visit us - there's lots of leaves to rake" or whatever. LOL

Thornton, IL

Tammy (Luke)-I am your Father! LOL

somewhere, PA

LOL Do you also do those Get Smart jokes? As in "would you believe we're going to
Paris for dinner?" as a preface to taking me out for pizza.

Thornton, IL

No, but *wait, my shoe is ringing!* I do know the show. When Don Adams died last year, no one in my class but the old geezers knew who he even was. Sad.

I was saying that, ahem, I have been known to put my guests (which are usually teenagers that I feed, very well, and are somehow related, nieces, nephews, & their friends) to work! Tee hee.

somewhere, PA

I just don't have enough hungry hoards of teens around to feed. I'm jealous. But I do agree its important to
help them burn off those calories. You are clearly doing a good deed there putting them to work. LOL

When I was growing up, Get Smart was our family's favorite TV show. The Cone of Silence, "Get the Light Hymie"
and all the terrible jokes & stunts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.