Schefflera Propagation?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a huge Schefflera in my house by a window. It's out of control. It's about 5ft tall by 6ft wide. It looks great there by the kitchen window but the horizontal growth needs to be addressed. I love this plant. I have had it since it was a foot tall.

I'd to propagate the cuttings. Can someone offer guidance please?

Thanks in advance!

Robin

Thumbnail by azrobin
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I recently rooted one by cutting it into 12" lengths, dusting the lower end of each cutting w/rooting hormone, and sticking it 5" deep in regular seed starting mix. It took 30+ days, but they are showing roots now. I spritzed them with water or kelp solution several times a week.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Kelp? Okay! Gosh, If I had room to displa the plant in all of it's big beauty I prefer that. But....

Thanks Jay.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Just make sure yours doesn't get too tall as it gets wider. I had one in FL grow up through the soffits of a rental property. Big money to have that repaired. You'd think the tennants would have mentioned it to me before the squirrels moved in. lol

carol

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

LOL. Wow, that was a huge one!

I have the center 2 stalks tied to tall stakes. All the others are growing outward. And, I recently repotted the thing!

I'll get some rooting hormone this week and a few plastic containers. I just hate cutting it back. I guess the pay off will be when the new ones show promise.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I have seen pictures of some trained as bonsai. That is what I plan to do with the newly rooted plants I have.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I rooted a cutting years ago and tried bonsai but just decided to let it grow in a smaller pot. The mother plant was in a plastic bowl with very little soil and grew to over 3 foot tall. I just chopped off 3 of the tallest stems and have them in water now and pruned a lot of the roots off the mother plant. I'm now trying to get it to grow over a rock in another plastic bowl (most of the rock is below the soil). If it succeeds in attaching to the rock, then I will move the rock and plant to a bonsai tray to expose the rock and roots.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

hcmcdole - you have the cuttings in water? Will it root in water first? I can do that!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I have had it in water for several days now. I will probably move them to perlite and water this weekend. If I remember right, that is what I did for the last one I started. It took quite a while to root but it never wilted.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

yes, even with rooting hormones they take a very long time.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow. Had no idea it takes much longer for this plant.

Thank you both for your input.

Dallas, TX

My friends rooted cuttings from my plant in water. I've had mine for five or six years...its about five ft tall and four ft wide. I am glad to hear someone say they repotted theirs... I have always been afraid to do that ... sometimes Scheffleras dont like to be moved.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.