Aquarium heater?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

If rooting takes place better in warmer conditions, would adding an aquarium heater to the bubbler work? Or would that be warm enough?

This message was edited Oct 8, 2006 8:52 AM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't know about bubblers (yet), but I do know about fish tanks... Aquarium heaters have thermostats and come in different wattages for different sized tanks... I've only got a 50 watt heater in my 30 gallon tank, and it does a fine job of keeping the temperature 10 to 15 degrees above ambient temperature. If your water temperature goes down to more like 45 degrees and you're trying to heat it to 80 degrees for example, I'd go with a 100 W heater even for a 10 gallon bubbler.

Fulton, MO

Aquarium heater is what I have used.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Stressbaby, what size/wattage heater in how large a bubbler container? And what temperature setting did you use?

Thanks!

Fulton, MO

I made the mistake of getting a low, wide, shallow container at first. I used a WalMart type cylindrical heater, the kind you'd get for a little 10 gallon fish tank. The heated water (and the oxygenated water, for that matter) did not evenly distribute through the container, so it is hard to state a particular temperature. Cuttings near the heater rooted noticably better than those distant from the heater.

As I have mentioned previously, I had trouble with algae. I recently bought another, smaller container and I painted the sides black to reduce light penetration. I will try this again with grow lights and the same heater set around 80*F.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

did you use any H2O2 in your water? would it prevemt algae?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.