how long do we leave hummer feeders out?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm wondering when the humingbirds migrate and leave our area. When do you put your nectar feeders away for the winter?

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Yesterday I (and any subscriber in PA) received an e-mail from Scott Weidensaul via the PA Bird List requesting that as many people as possible leave at least one feeder out until at least Thanksgiving. Apparently rufous hummingbirds are developing a new migration route and wintering area in the East ("by the thousands along the Gilf Coast") instead of in Mexico(!). There is an effort in Pennsylvania to band these birds in order to track their migration patterns. Perhaps there is a similar effort in Maryland. A local chapter of the Audubon Society may have more specific information for you.
According to the e-mail, these are very cold-hardy birds and would not be moving through here until after most ruby-throats have moved on - usually October, November, December!
Oh I hope I get to see just one!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the information. I'm glad I asked. Really wouldn't have thought to keep them til Thanksgiving.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info Pat. How would I get on the List for Emails?

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Go to www.pabirds@list.audubon.org. It's a subscription and not fancy or colorful but gives info by county for bird sightings and activities in Pennsylvania. I find it confusing to navigate but worth the effort for information like this.
Good luck and hope you get to see a "vagrant". Are you in western PA? That seems to be where the current action is now.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm sorry HollyAnn! I got it wrong! Go to pabirds@listserv.org and subscribe either to the complete list or to the digest. You do it by sending an e-mail. Really sorry for the confusion. I really love the wonders of the internet and all its potential but since I'm "over the hill" by a long ways, I sometimes get overwhelmed. If the above address doesn't work, just google "pabirds@listserv" that should get you to right spot.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info Pat, I live half way between Harrisburg and York. Near Lewisberry. But I grew up in Harrisburg.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.