sowing crocosmia seeds

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'm after some info here on sowing my crocosmia seeds.

Most of my perrenials i tend to sow in sept/Oct time and just leave out in a sheltered spot. But reading what I can find on Crocosmia seeds it says to sow them in heat? Is this necessary, and am I better off leaving them till spring?

Other seeds that I've sown over the past month are growing away like mad already, and I do prefer to get off to a flying start in Spring.

I put this query here rather than on the general sowing forum, as a lot of their advice zone wise isn't relevant here in the u.k.
Cheers,

Sue

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Sue, I grew some C Lucifer from seed I took off mine, (which are still in a pot!) I sowed it on 25-9-04.

They are still in their sowing pot, I have plans of moving them into the ground, they have enough size I think to do that and it saves more work! I find many bulbs are best left for 2 years until they have sufficient size to cope with a move.

I think I left the pot outside over winter, but last winter I put the pot on the greenhouse floor, unheated, they were still quite small and it was a very cold winter. They seemed to all grow and all returned.

Good luck!

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hi Sue
The best time to sow crocosmia seed is in spring!!!
They do need a little bit of heat but not too hot................. the best thing is one of those heated mats.......
They come up like little bits of grass............ thats the best way to describe them!!!!

Mark

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Crocosmia like grass you say??? Lol

No comment your honour!

Yes they look like a tray of grass when they first come up!!

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Cheers guys, and gals..guess I'll have to be patient than, and plonk them in with the to do box...Sue

You are welcome Sue...........................
Strange how all you ladies have 'To Do Boxes'..................

Take care
Mark

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.