Black and White

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Saturday night, we went for a drive around the neighborhood, and over on Townline road, I saw the white deer. It looked like the woods had been erased in a deer shape - very eerie.

Yesterday morning, I could hear a terrible ruckus out back and went to look and there were over a hundred crows flying very near to the back of the barn and cawing to beat the band.

There are some things that put down in this kind of prosaic note seem inadequate and singularly disappointing, but both occurances were odd and disturbing, each in a different way. "What We Have Lost" was the title of a book not long ago and when I consider all the people in this country who will never have the oppportunity to see what I see everyday, it makes me feel as if the greatest loss has been the piece of our soul that has "Wilderness" written on it. Even if the wilderness is a part of farm land that has been cleared and cultivated for almost 200 years, it is still in the center of it, safe and making it's own way.

If you get the chance, read some of MaryE's descriptions of her rides in the daily journal in the Farmlife Forum. They will take you to a different place, and maybe a different time and give you back a little piece of that lost bit for a moment.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Kathleen - magic!!!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

wonderful Kathleen. I do love your writing and also Mary's stories in her journals.

southeast, NE

Thank you Kathleen for sharing. I too enjoy your writing and Mary's journals. I recall one of my best memories is when I was headed to my parents house about 20 years ago. They live not too far from a river. I was driving and all of my sudden my dh hollars "whoa". We stopped and waited for a herd of a least 100 deer to cross the road. He or I had never seen anything so remarkable and I'm sure we will never see that again.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Made the hairs on my arms stand up on end Nebraska :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.