Take a Seson Long Tour of My Back Yard

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

July 14. The Burning Bed is aflame. I move Lola Branham, the tall pale daylily in the center of the bed to the front garden where she should look better.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No lack of July color.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

As July end, the daylilies come to an end and I'm glad I planted some annuals that bloom late like this Polidor cosmos.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

There are still a few late blooming daylilies like this August Flame and Autumn Minaret blooming August 11.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm hoping that once they are established a little more, the new helenium planted last fall will add more August color.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This one, Helenium Flammendes Katchen, was my favorite of the new heleniums.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

August 18. The zinnias in the back square bed had finally started looking good.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 3:29 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I like the way the lime sweet potato vine crawls all over everything. The ornamental grasses behind the garage are also starting to look good.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Much of the side of the garage is covered with morning glory vines by late August. I love this hot pink one.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I planted 3 new Butterfly bushes this year. Black Knight can just be seen here along with a castor bean and some coleus.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2006 6:31 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is a Mai Sugata Japanese morning glory that Moby gave me seeds of. It grew along the back deck and is still blooming in Oct.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And a beautiful Rose Silk that bloom well in Sept and into Oct.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Not many Sept photos of the back gardens, but the lantana and blue salvia did look nice as well as the blanket flowers.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I love this bold mixture of zinnias. In the front garden beds, I try to keep the colors a little under control, but in the back beds, the bolder the better.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 10:00 PM

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Susan, your pics are always an inspiration. I wish I lived in your neighborhood to enjoy it in person.

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

that last photo of zinnias is breathtaking ! What a wonderful tour ! Thank you.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks for visiting! Here is one last mum.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Susan, hot, hot, hot! but just one complaint...how could you even consider taking out Abe Darby? just look at that gorgeous pic. I can't wait to plant one. I know he doesn't really fit in, but couldn't you plant something hot around him to perk him up? (just tell me to myob..can't help myself, I love that rose).

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I will probably end of keeping old Abe. I do love it even if the color gets lost back there. It is very disease resistant too which is a good thing since I never spray or even fertilize it much. Just keeps blooming away with no help at all,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.