Take a Seson Long Tour of My Back Yard

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I posted another thread with photos of my front garden, so thought I might as well invite you into the back yard too. It leaves much to be desired and is not as finished looking yet as the front, so I don't take as many long shots. What lawn was there when I moved into the house has slowly given way to all flower beds and paths. The chain link fence does not make a very nice background, but I'm working on covering it up. The first sign of spring is the creeping phlox and other bulbs blooming.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Mrs Moons Pulmonaria are another early bloomer in what I call my shade bed. In fact it gets too much sun and the plants there ususally look rather bad by late summer. A large tree that used to shade the are fell over a few years ago and much more sun gets to the bed now.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Two minature lilacs help to cover up part of the fence and add fragrance early season. Allium bloom at the same time. The lantana and dahlia in this photo are in pots of the back deck.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

May 16 looking towards the Iris bed.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

You have lots of early color! I like your combinations to. I didn't plan enough three season color and I'm looking at everyone's pics to get ideas.
Send more pics!

Deborah

Lincolnitess, yes you are inspiring a plan for 3 season color indeed! Thanks! :0)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Bare looking spring bed by garage.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Another early spring shot without much color. I should add more bulbs. The white along the left side is valarian. The Iris are just starting to open in the back corner and the snowball viburnum is in bloom.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 1:06 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Valarian is very pretty in bloom and smells wonderful.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This little snowball bush is two years old and not very large yet. I'm hoping it will fill up the whole back corner as it grows. May add a couple more next spring.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Iberis is another early bloomer. There are some white anemones mixed in with it that were about to bloom in this photo. This bed still need work. I moved the Cardonna salvia that you can see in this photo to another location this fall. It ended up spreading too much here.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have a large compost pile behind the garage. The shrubs in this corner are snowberries and I am in the process of digging them up this fall and replacing them with Blackbeauty elderberries. Hope they will do well there. I also got one of the lime green leaved elderberries. Wonder how long it will take them to fill in?

This message was edited Oct 5, 2006 6:26 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The Iris had such a good year. Many of them were new ones and it was exciting to watch them open. I spend a lot of time with my digital camera taking photos. Thank goodness for digitals. Afraid Iris borers were very bad this year and the display may not be so good next spring. I need to learn how to treat for them.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

More Iris. This bed looked very bare after the Iris and the tall lilies behind them were done blooming, so I moved some of the Iris this fall and added some daylilies to the bed. I think next year, I may move the tall lilies behind the Iris to a new area and fill that in with something like tall cosmos that will add late season color.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Goatsbeard in front of the shade area.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I call this bed "The Burning Bed", Using lots of reds, oranges and golds. Lots of daylilies, a couple helenium, lilies, a Penstemon and some annuals including a large blue salvia to cool things off a little. Plus some heurchera, golden creeping jenny, goatsbeard, astilbe and a few other odds and ends.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Your yard & beds look so nice and tidy! You must spend a lot of time keeping them that way. Yes, your irises look wonderful! I had my first blooms from bearded irises this year. They are marginally successful in my climate, but I love them. I've never tried pulmonaria. I wonder how it would do in my wet zone 3.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I added 5 Sundance bicolor gaillardia and they have bloomed and bloomed and are still going strong in Oct.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 1:44 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I think the pulmonaria would do Ok for you. They need some shade and like it a little wetter than I keep them. There are so many pretty ones out now. By mid June Abraham Darby is in full bloom and blooms on and off all summer. It was one one of the first things I planted in the back and the color does not really go with all the hot colors I'm using now, but I find it hard to get rid of it. I may replace it next spring with a yellow or red one.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Saratoga Spring Time is a May blooming daylily and blooms along with the bright yellow yarrow and Maynight salvia.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Foxglove blooms in front of the valerian. It is reblooming lightly now in Oct. I have a hard time getting them to reseed for me, so usually add one or two new ones each year to replace the ones that die. Using Preen I'm sure does not help with the reseeding, but it sure does keep the weeds under control.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lemon Prelude is another early blooming daylily.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Mid June and the lilies are starting. This is Latvia.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

An unknown lily that blooms for a very long time in the Burning Bed.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Desert Song is a lily that I moved this fall to bloom next to the unknown above. Thought they would be pretty together. I tend to do a lot of moving.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

June 23. The zinnias in the raised square bed seem to be slow to get started this year. Daylilies are blooming away nicely.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lilies by the garage get very tall.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Looking towards the house there are even more daylilies and lilies in June.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

As if I don't have enough flower beds, I am also starting a new one in my neighbors yard. This area is along the side of my driveway and in Sept I planted it in daylilies and Iris. Here I was using newspapers to kill the grass.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

June 27. More lilies and daylilies. The vine on the fence is a Dutchman's pipe vine. I planted it a few years ago. Big mistake. It shoots up all over the place. I am going to try to kill it this fall and replace it with morning glory vines next year.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 9:59 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Susan, Susan, Susan...... charming the neighbors out of their land again, are ya? LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

June 29. African Queen lily.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I am thinking of taking over the whole block and then moving on into the park. LOL! It is a disease, but a pleasant one. Silk Road lily.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

July 4th

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Another photo from July 4.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

July 6, the Burning Bed is heating up.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

July 6 again. This is the bed that the valarian was blooming in last spring.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Same bed, looking towards the house. White Henry is in full bloom. Maybe my favorite lily.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

But all the lilies are so lovely it's hard to pick a favorite. This is Leslie Woodriff.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

July 14

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.