Show how your garden has changed over the last few months

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Looking back at some old photos yesterday made me realize how much each garden bed changes as the season progresses. This first photo was taken shortly after I raked off the old leaves last spring. The only color is from some pansies and celosia that were bought in bloom. This was mid April.

Susan

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 9:01 AM

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This photo was taken just a little later after I had added new mulch to all the beds.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

After the early tulips and daffodills, the varigated Iris starts to bloom. The leaves remain nice most of the rest of the summer.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Stepping Out Iris starts to bloom a few days later than the varigated ones, followed by Wedding Frills. The yellow in this photo is from the blooms of some sedem that I later removed from the garden. At one time it edged all the front beds but I decided I would rather have something that would bloom longer and removed the last of it this spring.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 11:35 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here the front strip of land by the sidewalk has been mulched and the verbascum is blooming. Columbines bloom about this time too. The Southern Charm verbascum is not my favorite color, but it sure does bloom a long time and then reblooms again if cut back and is blooming for a third time now. I may replace it with a deeper violet one next year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

By June, the Jackmania clemetis are in full bloom on the two front arbors with white daisies.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 9:20 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The earliest daylilies and the columbines are also blooming at this time.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nearer the house, Lollipop lilies, delphenium and columbine bloom. The bright pink blooms near my neighbors drive way are Ceres double lilies.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

By early June, the Swirling Fantasy heuchera are in full bloom.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This was my first year to grow Julie Newmar daylily. It is a very early bloomer and is now reblooming in Oct.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Along the street, Moonbeam coreopsis starts to bloom early in June along with an old fashioned betony.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This pink asiatic lily was mislabeled, but ended up being a nice color for the area anyway.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

By June 12, most of the new annuals were starting to bloom along with some Paprika yarrow and Lynn's Delight daylily.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

June 15 the monarda is starting to bloom along the street.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have this lily marked as "maybe Midnight". It was suppose to be a much darker violet color, but maybe the heat made it lighter. This was it's first year to blooom.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

In June the lilies scent the whole garden. This is Luminaries.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

By June 22, color is popping out all over and things are looking a little chaotic.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Daylilies are nearing peak blooming time.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here's a rather shocking combination!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Now things are getting wild!!

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 10:03 AM

North Augusta, SC(Zone 8a)

That's like watching a slide show, a year in your garden...love it!
Alice

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

June 25. The front strip is no longer so bare!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Other end of the strip.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Most of my time in late June and July is spent deadheading and taking photos of single daylilies. Time to start watering more too.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Kansan Kitten was a new one this summer. Not a large bloom, but so pretty. Glad I put it near the sidewalk where it can be seen easily.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

King of Masks.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

American Spirit lily and Missouri Memories daylily. I think I will move the daylily next spring and add one that looks better with the lily.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

July 6, the annual blue salvia that reseeds each year is just starting to bloom.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

With all the differrent daylily cultivers, it hard not to look blotchy in July, but so fun to see which new ones are opened each day.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

July 6.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lots of new little daylilies in this bed that need to fill in. I am saving seeds of the pink cosmos and will plant lots more next year. Still looks wonderful in Oct.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

July 12, Wilson Spider.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

July 25. This is Helenium Copperlia that I added last fall in front of one of the arbors. Hard to find things that do well this time of the year here.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Aug 4. I have a trellis along my neighbors driveway that is cover with Japanese Morning Glories. They do add a lot of color in Aug.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The morning glories were not blooming much yet in this photo, but you can see what a wall they make.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Aug 17 th looking towards the morning glory wall.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Aug 18. The front strip does not have a lot going on now except for the annuals. The blue salvia adds much needed color.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Aug 18. Here is the Helenium again and an agastashe. I added the pot of Rubeckias and moved some of my sun coleus from the porch into the front beds to brighten things up. Cleome that reseeds each year is taking over near the house.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Aug 20. The red salvia and coleus here are in pots.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 11:44 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

sorry, double posting

This message was edited Oct 4, 2006 11:45 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.