Eastern Redbud Tree

Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

I have many seedling eastern redbud trees growing throughout my yard. They are the results of my 10 year old adult tree. When is the appropriate time of year to transplant? I am wishing to place them into a "holding area" and sell them when they are of an appropriate size. Will they thrive in light, thin containers or do I need to burlap them when large enough? I am concerned that they will be damaged if just left out in the open during the winter and there are too many to mark with tags. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's extremely hard to transplant redbud seedlings unless they're very tiny. They have a taproot and it's hard to dig them and not lose some of that root.

If you want to sell them, you'd best dig the very smallest ones and pot them up and keep them in pots until they're sold. It shouldn't hurt them at all to be outside. They're very hardy.

Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Hart,
The seedlings are fairly small; some are only about 4" tall. The majority range from 6" to 12" at the most. I'll gather them up and plant in pots before they drop their leaves. That was my main concern--that I would not be able to identify them after that and they would be crushed by big feet. Thanks again.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Hi
I have potted them up for the past few years. Dig em up small...Hart is right, the tap root ends in China. I am in Central Alabama, and they do fine in pots outside all year here.
Best of luck to ya!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

They should be okay if they're that small. Just dig and dig and dig and dig and then dig some more for that taproot. LOL

Lilburn, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll let you know how things go in the spring and they leaf out (I hope!!). Redbud trees anyone? LOL
~hotlanta

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.