Rooting with Willow

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

This is in response to a question on another thread. I am sure someone else that knows more about this should chime in here but here goes:

Willow emits a plant hormone that greatly aids in the rooting of anything else.
Put willow branches in water and they will root themselves. Add anoother type of cutting and they will also frequently root. Or simply soak them in the water for a bit before sticking them in rooting medium, as you would with a commercail powder rooting hormone.

From http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03mar24d.cfm
Just as in humans, hormones stimulate various functions in plant growth. The first hormone discovered to cause root growth is called auxin, and the synthetic version of auxin is what we find in commercially sold compounds today.

The willow plant is a natural source of auxin. Therefore, it can be very easy to make up a fresh batch of homemade rooting compound whenever you need to plant some new cuttings.

Also, don't get rid of the willow water when you're done with your cuttings. Save it to water your plants! I googled " rooting with willow ." There's lots of information on the subject.

justfurkids carol

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, that's really great information - I knew about using bundles of willow cuttings to revegetate/ prevent erosion of areas near stream banks, etc - but I didn't know just how good they were. Very interesting - thanks Carol, I think I will read up on that. And get a willow!

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Carol,

The link you gave says, "Aspirin is made from willow bark..."

That piece of known misinformation in the link brings into question the rest of the "information" provided there. That statement simply isn't true. Many tons of Aspirin are produced in this country every year, and it isn't made from willow bark. You don't see big loads of willow trees pulling into Bayer or St. Joseph every day.

Originally willow was used medicinally and research identified the beneficial active ingredient. But aspirin is inexpensively produced chemically, and not by extraction from willow trees.

MM

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

When you say willow trees do you mean like the weeping willow tree?

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

In a word, yes. But thats really why I started this thread, so I could get more information from those that know. I'd love to find out if some willows work better than others.

I visted a friend in Holland once who had a beautiful vase of naked curly willow branches. I asked her about it and she said she'd put them in there a few months earlier as decoration and just kept adding water. I asked her to pull them out of the vase and she was astonished to see the mass of tangled roots. I sure wish I'd brought some of those home.

If I don't hear any better, I'll just find a pussy willow to buy I suppose.

carol

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I have a weeping willow that is why I was asking. I hope someone chimes in with more info.
Dawn

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Give it a try, Dawn! Stick some branches in water and see what happens. I understand the willow tea is made by chipping young branches into tiny peices and soaking in water for a few days. Seems to me I read something about willow tea on Mike McGroarty'sPlant Propagation Website but I'll be darned if I can find it now.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/519353/

I'd LOVE a weeping willow and have a perfect place for one, down by the creek that borders our property. I can hardly get down there its so overgrown... a good winter project - clearing a pathway. (Funny my dogs don't have any trouble getting down there.)
carol

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Mine is only few years old maybe 8 to 10' feet tall. It was doing really well (the branches were arching and long) Then hurrican Isabel came through and shortened the branches. But it is still growing. i can send you a piece of a branch if you'd like?
Dawn

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Really? Wow that would be great Dawn. The generosity of DGers never ceases to amaze me! I will send you something wonderful in return. I will dmail you my address.

I am sorry your tree got hit by Isabel. Having been a resident of FL until just recently, and active in K-9 Search and Rescue I've seen more hurricane devestation than I care to remember. Now I just have to see those darn TN tornados coming! lol

Thanks Dawn.
Carol
new house ----> http://www.justfurkids.com/TNmove.html

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Your home is absolutely lovely! Small world. My parents just moved to Mountain City, TN and they love it. My stepfather loves the moutains. You have PLENTY of room to do anything. Good luck gardening!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

We are having a nor'easter here rigth now. It is supposed to let up Sunday so I'll send it out Monday.

edited to say I love my dogs too! They are my children! You are a stronger woman that I am to be in K-9 Rescue. I think I'd be in tears all the time. More power to you!

This message was edited Oct 6, 2006 9:28 PM

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you. With all the gardening I am doing, hopefully it will be more lovely. :-) I don't particularly care for grass so its quite ironic that I end up on a 45 acre sod farm.

I did a mapquest on Mountain City and your folks are a good 8 hrs away in East TN. But I grew up visiting that general area and its really gorgeous up there in the Mountains!

Thanks again for the willow cutting. And do let me know how yor WW experiments go. I might just have to knickname you WillowWoman! lol :-)

Carol

Mattituck, NY(Zone 7b)

When rooting willow, how long should the branches be? Newer or older wood? With or without leaves? After it grows roots, should the top be cut back to encourage branching? Thanks.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Hi,
I use Willow water all the time to root cuttings.
#1 You can cut the branches from ANY type of willow, strip all the leaves off, cut each branch into any size sections you want, put them in a pan, add water and boil them. I use a handfull of 4" pieces to a sauce pan of water, but there is no set amount of either. When the water comes to a rolling boil remove them from the heat. Then let them sit until they cool to room temp. I pour the water into canning jars wrapped in foil or newspaper and place my cuttings in. Depending on what you are wanting to root, it can take from 1 week to several weeks to see roots appear...but they will!!

#2 Willow branch stripped of the leaves...cut into pieces and place in a covered canning jar, add water, insert cuttings , watch for roots to appear.

#3 I have also cut willow branches, cut them into 12" pieces, put them in a covered canning jar, add water, insert cuttings and wait for the willow and cuttings to root.

I have been using these methods for 25 years or better. My deceased x mother in law taught me how to do this. It really works and I have been thrilled with the results...
OH BTW willow cuttings are GREAT if you have a tooth ache too. Just chew on a piece of willow with the bark on, and I promise the pain WILL go away.
And for dieahrea (sorry bout the spelling) if you will boil a few Blackberry leaves, and make a tea from them and drink it...it will cure that problem.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks Blckwolf256...exactly what I was hoping to learn!

Siouxcq - rooting a willow cutting to make a new plant is just like anything else rooted in water...make the cutting as long as you want, leave a few leaves on top, strip all those that are under water. You might want to add a bit (capfull) of hydogen peroxide, though it is not necessary. Keep an eye on it and plant in soil when you are satisfied the roots can sustain new growth. It's faster in a bubbler.

My friend in Holland had her willow branches in water for months and the mass of roots at the bottom was outragous!

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Anyone needing willow cuttings to root, let me know. I will gladly gather some up and ship them for the cost postage and 69cents for the mailing tube. We have TONS of them.
Sue

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info and instructions. I took a cutting of Salix babylonica 'Crispa' a few months ago and here's the pic of it after sitting in a large glass of water on the porch. This is a really neat cultivar where the leaves are curled, not the branches. Excellent material for floral arrangements.

Thumbnail by growin
Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

You would not believe how lazy I can be with brug cuttings in the Summer.

I just poke them in the ground along with a willow stem then about a month or 2 later they both are growing.

I don't know exactly how long it takes because I poke 'em in and literally forget them for

a few weeks or until I spy a brug bloom close to the ground somewhere out there in my helter skelter garden ;0)

Hey what ever works !

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

WOW!! That is awesome!!!!!

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

WOW scoot. That's impressive! Now when you move to the Knoxville TN area, Id' think you'd have even more success with that method, especially once we get you the varieties that are hardy in zone 7 . Frosty Pink is the only one that comes to mind right now. You'll be the one that lives in the forest of angels trumpets! lol

I would LOVE some willow cuttings Sue! I really am dying to see what I can do with willow and my bubbler! First though, I must root the willow so I have a never ending supply! Your Salix babylonica 'Crispa' looks awesome, growin. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a piece of that either. In fact, I will happily reimburse costs and send a surprise treat back to anyone that sends me any willow. I am in the address exchange. :-)

carol
http://www.justfurkids.com/TNmove.html

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Justfurkids...
Ill get right on it...I will dmail you in a bit.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks Sue! Please take a look at my journal too. If I've got something you'd like to have please let me know. :-) carol

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I have some kind of twisted willow that I was given a cutting of a few years ago.

I do not know what it is called but I love the gently twisted leaves and branches .

But the branches are upright instead of weeping ;-))

Last week while shopping at Wallyworld for dried flower arrangement stuff I almost picked out

some curly (over-priced) twigs until I realized have the same thing growing in my yard ! ~ ! ~ !

For once my plant addiction 'saved' me some money.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

LOL...Way to go Scooterbug!!!!

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Darn JUSTFURKIDS!!!!!!!!!! You really do live on a piece of heaven!!!! Beautiful place!!!!!!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I was looking through the book, "Salix" and noticed a reference about medicinal use: "Some reference should be made to the medicinal properties of Salicin, a glucoside constituent of the bitter-tasting sap of young Salix stems, especially S. purpurea. For many years Salicin has been extracted and administered as a febrifuge and analgesic to patients exhibiting symptoms of fever. Its use has now been superseded by the synthetic production of aspirin containing salicylic acid." I didn't find any reference in the book to making Salix tea or using for rooting hormone.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks Sue. We love it here. Pretty much a blank slate as far as the garden is concerned but there's lots of room to try a bit of everything. Thanks so much for the willow too. Can't wait till it arrives. I already put your check for postage in the mailbox but please check out my journal and see if you'd like something I have, or will have soon. I want to try and propagate something with my new willow! :-)

My dog BigMac is still missing, has been since 4 pm, so tomorrow I am calling a fencing contractor to keep those darn dogs out of the creek and the lumber mill next door. Its only money right? Here's a thread about my terrible day and Big Mac's big adventure.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/664756/

carol
growin I understand its great for headaches and toothaches....just chew on a woody twig.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks again for the willow Sue! It arrived today and is now bubbling merrily away with the Brugs. Don't remember what little gift I sent you along with the postage. Early Alzheimers here. Hope its something good! lol

Thanks again.
carol

Mattituck, NY(Zone 7b)

Yahoo! My willow branches are already getting roots after a little over a week! I'm going to make your willow "tea", too, Blck wolf. Thanks.

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

WooooHooooo congratulations Siouxcq! There is nothing quite like the satisfaction one gets from seeing those little white bumps become roots. I swear I see them starting on mine already too but its only been 3 days so perhaps I am seeing things. lol

I moved mine over with some hardy hibiscus cuttings which will also benefit from the willow.
carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.