Hillside walkways and stairs

Vista, CA

I looked everywhere for images of garden hillside walkways and stairs. I got nowhere. I don't see any books with this kinda stuff in it and I wasn't able to find anything using Google.

So we roughed out a plan. Experimented with a few things. Tried to find the best paths up and down the hills (with the help of 2 hyperactive Border Collies) and this is a partial view of one of first and certainly the favorite of the 7 side-garden walkways and stairs up and down the garden hills surrounding our house. (not very tidy because it is still in the works) (BTW a 20-ft long x 8 ft tall white lattice will hide the fence at the top of this image.

What I need now is the eye of a designer to look at it as say what colors and forms are needed to fill in and where. We can add rocks, bolders within reason...Nothing that needs a crane please!. I am nuts about lizard gnomes, big and colorful.. so far haven't found what I can imagine and I am not a ceramic artist or any other kind of artist, just know what I want!.

Most of the present plants will stay. They are favorites and are well established. soo that bounds things a bit.

edited addition below
btw,
We made the final decision to put these steps here based on 3 facts.

1. It was the most difficult slope to control on which to control water erosion.

2. It is the most acute slope from which to service plants

3. It was a path most often traversed up the hill by the 2 Border Collies.

bob
:>)

This message was edited Oct 3, 2006 4:37 AM

Thumbnail by thistlesifter
This thread has 26 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!