Four o'clocks and japenaese beetles

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Starting this here so I don't fill up the "Maryland Residents" question further.
Somewhere in DG, I read that four o'clocks are toxic to JBs. I used to get JBs on my evening primroses, I would pick a few from each plant daily for awhile and drown them. In 2003, I grew FOCs from seed, and each summer still do. I have only seen one JB anywhere in my yard all year. I have two(pitiful) roses this year, and haven't even seen a JB on them.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally,

Thanks for bumping this to a new Forum.
I felt pretty bad, as i thought I was starting to "Highjack" the thread on Moving to Maryland.

Gita

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally, That was a good idea to move the JB topic. Thanks.

Would like to have more DGs weight in on this as the only dead JB's I saw were in my traps or I caught and fed to my pond fish.

Chris

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I just replied to this in the Maryland thread. Japanese beetles will prefer to eat the four o'clocks to your roses and the four o'clocks will kill them. See this discussion from a while ago.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/269462/

It's been my experience if you have a big infestation of Japanese beetles, they're going to be all over everything they will eat unless you spray although they will still go to the four o'clocks first, but in a normal year, the four o'clocks will take care of the problem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.