oriental persimmon tree

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I only know one other person who grows oriental persimmons in Vienna. He told me that the squirrels took every one of his. This is the first year I have had persimmons on my tree. They are beautiful and just beginning to turn color. I wanted you to see them just in case I looked out the window tomorrow and they were all gone.

Thumbnail by dayli
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for sharing..... Those rascally squirrels!!!!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

The squirrels did not eat my persimmons after all. Yay! My guess is that they were way too full of figs.

Just discovered that my husband has been taking pictures with the new camera and thought you might like to see the ripe persimmons hanging on the bare tree. I think it looks really cool.

Thumbnail by dayli
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hey that is cool, now don't tell the squirrels they are there!

Crozet, VA

I agree dayli, the bare tree with fruit looks cool. Thank you for sharing your pics.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Don't you eat your persimmons, Dayli? I thought the Japanese persimmons could be eaten before frost. Unlike the wild ones, which will pucker your mouth inside out if you eat them before they get a little frost.

They're very pretty but I'd be chomping on them myself. LOL

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

They can be eaten before frost, anytime after they color up, the books say. I've tried them while they are still hard. True, they don't make the inside of your mouth feel as though it was lined with suede. They are crisp and sweet and kind of tasteless, without that full rich persimmon flavor you get if you let them soften.

I have a great big bowl of them sitting in the living room guarded by a large plastic spider left over from halloween. About every day or two one will ripen. If a bunch of them ripen at once I want to try mashing them up and freezing them.

The ones still on the tree are an experiment. But I think I may bring them in. I know now that once the squirrels learn that they are good to eat, it's all over!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.