Are there any particular seeds that cannot be winter sown?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't remember reading any info that says certain type seeds cannot be winter sown. However, I did read a remark that leads me to this question. If yes, can some of you please give me an example of seeds that should be exempt.

Deborah

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I was reading some where, that impatients couldn't be ws...
it's in one of the forums here on DG but I can't remember where,
I have read so much lol

cg

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Umm, I wonder why not? I'll Jot that one down on my no-to-ws list. So far impatients are at the top and bottom of my list. Grin. ;>)

Deb

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

If I come across that post again lol, I will put a link here for you...

cg

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Coleus and impatients can be finicky. I'm going to try to Spring sow, and see if I can get some of them to germinate outdoors. I'll reserve seeds also for germinating indoors....just in case.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I think any seeds that are killed by cold shouldn't be ws. Like palm seeds and banana seeds and other tropicals. Some annuals. I can't find much on which other seeds are killed by lower temperatures.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Mobi, I forgot about Palms and Bananas, unless you can find the cold hardy varieties.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is an informative posting from Wintersown.org which lists plants which may be better for Spring and Summer sowing...

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/wtrsow/2002064114029680.html

In general the page says if the seed packet states "sow after danger of frost is passed" it's better to sow in late spring a la 'spring sowing'.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Most of the plants listed on the above page are also listed on the winter sown data base. Therefore, you should not assume those plants listed above cannot be WSd. Also, if a seed packet says not to start outdoors until last frost is not an idicator that a plant can't be WSd. Again check the wintersown database for your zone and zones colder than yours.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I had success w/s impatiens, but if you want the early color, then you are best not and just buying a flat. They have a very slow start. I do have impatiens volunteer throughout my yard and I love it.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Yea...that page does not say that those plants would be "better" sown in the spring or summer, but that they do not need cold stratification so they are viable candidates for spring and summer sowing.

From what I understand, the plants that you are less likely to have success with winter sowing are the true tropicals (typically grown as annuals). These plants evolved where it was always warm so they never had to develop protection against freezing weather. I suspect that Coleus falls into this category. I wintersowed these and the early sprouts died but a number of late sprouts survived.

- Brent

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

beaker--where do you check the wintersown database for that info?

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I think it's on the wintersown.org site. Not sure of the exact URL. I downloaded a copy into excel. If you dmail me your real email address, I'll try to send you a copy. It has plant info from zones 3 to 8 I believe. I usually just look at 3 and 4. It's not all inclusive, but is is huge. I probably should check it's size. If I send it out, I probably should break it into smaller files.

Brent, I agree with your assessment re tropicals. However, the one thing to keep in mind is if a plant starts growing and you get a freeze, you might lose it. I lost about half my zinnias last year to cold weather. Freezing weather is freezing weather.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Re: impatiens: Even when I'd buy my annuals at the nearby garden center the people always said "Wait to plant these. They're more susceptible to frost than most annuals and can be killed by cold temps, even slightly above freezing"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.