Canna Musafolia

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm not expert either.

I just meant if you found them in a ditch, they probably self seeded unless they were planted. That's not to say they weren't planted. I'd more expect to find the indica growing in a ditch than the musifolia but I don't live in Florida either. LOL There are also burgundy/bronze forms of indica. I grow both from see every year because the hummers love the small bright red flowers.

The leaves on the musifolia are different than the others. When I get a chance, I'll take a pic of both for you and the flowers on the musifolia.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have 4 canna musafolias that are still growing. there around the seven foot mark I'll be digging a couple up this fall to split, dmail me I got them from brian williams

Orlando, FL

I see how you would think they may have seeded. But it is a dumping spot and they had lots of roots and tubers...little dirt and I do not think they had been there long...someone dumped them instead of takeing them to the dump. We got crepe myrtles and spider lilies too. here is another picture...maybe we can figure it out.

Thumbnail by Moofiepoo
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'd like to shop in your ditches! ;)

I did get out and get some pics but didn't get time to download them yet.

Here is a pic from the Plant Files that shows the leaf. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/74929/ They get big and almost roundish and kind of flop over or stand out from the plant.. They also have a lighter very firm midrib and a reddish burgundy around the edges.

Here is another that shows the rib and the red on the leaves really well. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/126333/

Here's a nice big one and more what mine look like. http://www.tripleoaks.com/wpgdisplay.php?id=435

I notice in the PF there are listings for Canna indica Musafolia and also Canna musifolia? Where are the experts? LOL

There are tons and tons of pictures for different "indian shot" Canna indica.

Orlando, FL

Hahaha...oh my...now that sounds like...are you ready...the ones picked up.out of woods...were they were dumping plants down the road...they have kinda floppy leaves...and are from 6 to 8 feet tall..and look alot like those pictures..They have red edges and red ribs...and tiny red flowers..and I found 2 seeds in them....I am gonna have to borrow a camera..and see If I can get a picture..no flowers right now..but I got over 20 cannas in the woods ...laying in a pile...leaves and buds and yes a couple seeds too...I am on canna overload. Only bad thing...I only know the name of the yellow king humberts...I have orange...4 different reds...dwarf whites...and only one named...that is what I get for shopping in strange places...ahahaa..

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The only thing to be found in the ditches here is weeds and more weeds. And most of your 'weeds' are exotic tropicals and houseplants here. LOL

I'm downloading pics now. :) Had to get 6 kids out the door!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Okay, banana canna flower. It's more orange, small and very narrow.

Excuse the photography. It was really windy!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Indian shot flowers and forming seeds.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Banana canna leaf.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Another shot of banana canna leaf.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Top of banana canna leaf.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Musa basjoo on left and Canna musifolia on right, for comparison.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Indian shot with bronze leaves.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Indian shot with green leaves.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

A bunch of my indian shot seedlings.

That's it for today. LOL

And I do have a few extra banana canna.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Badseed, Do you have an extra banana canna for a newbie? I just joined DG a short time ago, and I am learning so much lurking on these forums. This year I have started growing cannas and brugs, and now I am hooked!!
Sharon

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to DG! Send me a dmail. :) (Click on my name).

Michele

Orlando, FL

Hi Badseed...thank you so much...at least now I am getting an Idea of what I am looking for. The flowers on the red canna in the pictures I have above...the flowers are at times a poppy red...and I got a seed today...yeah...the shape does not look like either in the Indian Shot or the Musafolia.. It is almost more long and pointy .So I think I am back to square one...Lots of cannas no names. The closeup I posted on sept 4 is the one I am talking about. Wow I would never have believed it would be so hard to figure out what they are.

Thanks to any one who can help me...I am very lost.
I will have to wait for the other ones to see what a flower looks like. I have some that look front and back like a musafolia on the leaves and stalk...but I do not know what the flowers are like yet. Thanks all
Robyn

Orlando, FL

Well...I am confident that the ones are Indian Shot....now that it bloomed. I went ditch hoping again....haha. I got some real pretty ones...that I now have identified as Indian Shot Red Stripe...any one have some Banana Canna they would trade for some Indian Shot Red Stripe? They are real pretty and tubers are large.

Thumbnail by Moofiepoo
South Amana, IA(Zone 5a)

I have LOTS of Canna musifolia (Banana Canna), if anyone is interested in making a trade in the spring. The way I came to have this canna is about the weirdest gardening event I've experienced in my 51 years of gardening. In 1998 we had a freak storm that the weather folks dubbed a "mesocyclone." We had winds 100-150 mph, sustained for almost half an hour.

We lost 13 trees and in an instant went from being shade gardeners to gardening in bright sunshine. One of the casualties was a large, old maple in our front yard. The landscapers had removed the remains, ground out the stump, filled the hole with soil, and seeded it with grass. As I was watering the sprouting grass seedlings one day, I noticed a sprout that definitely was not grass. Being curious, I dug it up and potted it. It turned out to be a Banana Canna! I was astounded, because we were not growing cannas at the time, so it must have been in the landscapers' soil. Not only that, it was early enough in the season, so that cannas in our area were not producing seeds yet. The seed must have overwintered!

As those of you who grow this canna know, it is quite vigorous. It produced blossoms the same year that the seed germinated. In the fall, my wife and I cut the stalks, hauled them to our vegetable garden, and tossed them on our annual fall refuse pile to dry and be burned. The next spring, we had volunteer cannas coming up all over our vegetable garden! We let most of them grow, just to see what we'd get. The most promising seedling to date has golden-green leaves, a narrow gold leaf margin, and blossoms whose petals are bright red on top and bright orange on the underside. I'm thinking about registering it, but haven't been able to find out how to proceed. If anyone knows the procedure, please point me in the right direction.

Wow! I just realized I've been rambling on forever. Sorry about that. :) Below is a photo of one of this year's BC clumps (far right), which eventually grew to about 8 feet tall.

Thumbnail by LarryR
South Amana, IA(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of the leaf of a seedling I described above:

Thumbnail by LarryR
South Amana, IA(Zone 5a)

Here is the blossom:

Thumbnail by LarryR
Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Larry, i would love to trade something in the spring for some of your Canna musifolia, it is really beautiful!

Sharon

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Larry,
I would love to trade something for your Banana canna, too. If you also have a small piece of the golden canna, I'd be interested in that, also.

I have a large, red-leaved canna with flowers very similar to the flowers on your Banana canna. I got this canna from a guy who goes to the same gym as I do. I also have some conifer grafts of unusual/dwarf conifers.

Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks,
Mike

South Amana, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Sharon--I've put you on my spring plant-mailing list for the Banana Canna. When the time comes to mail it to you, I'll check back with you to see what you'd like to trade. Happy Saturday!--Larry

Entrance to our flower garden:

Thumbnail by LarryR
Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Larry, I will look forward to hearing from you!

Your garden entrance is beautiful.

Sharon

South Amana, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Mike--I'll put you on my spring plant-mailing list for the Banana Canna as well. The seedling I described has only one smallish section of rhizome at this point. If its parent is any indication, I should have a number of rhizome sections by next fall. At that point I'll gladly trade with you. I'm very interested in your dwarf conifers. I've tried growing several in the past as "pseudo" bonsais, but haven't had much success. I know that most conifers need a certain number of "cold hours" a year to survive. How do you winter yours over?--Larry

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Larry,
Sounds good.

For the plants that I have in pots, I sink the pots, up to their rim, into the ground for the winter. I put chicken wire around the plants to keep the evil bunnies away.

I also have a number of conifers that I root from cuttings every year. Some of the plants I have available are:

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Filifera Nana' (dwarf thread-leaf chamaecyparis)
Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Filifera Aurea' (golden thread-leaf chamaecyparis)
Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Heatherbun'
Thuja occidentalis 'DeGroot's Spire'
Thuja occidentalis 'Filiformis' (thread-leaf arborvitae)
Thuja occidentalis 'Tiny Tim' (Dwarf globe Arborvitae)
Thuja occidentalis 'Aurea' (Gold arborvitae, from Heronswood Nursery, originally)
Thuja occidentalis 'Watnong' (very dwarf, low growing arborvitae - small plants)

All of the above plants are completely hardy here in USDA zone 4a, in Minneapolis. I always protect plants from the winter sun for the first two years after planting. After that, they're on their own.
Thanks,
Mike

South Amana, IA(Zone 5a)

Many thanks for your helpful information, Mike. I'll check with you again when I'm doing my mailings in the spring. Best--Larry

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

banana canna in center of photo

Thumbnail by jerryhildebrand
South Amana, IA(Zone 5a)

Good shot, Jerry. The fence adds a sense of scale, so you can tell how really tall this canna gets.

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

Moofiepoo---

You have a dmail---possible trade???

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.