6 month greenhouse project

Vista, CA

This a is an image capture of my current GH #2 as it was near completion.
This Gh has a total of over 1200 sf under SunTuf polymor glazed with a direct ray diffuser . It allows 85% light with 100% diffusion of direct sun rays. No leaf burn no matter how bright the sun and no direct ultraviolet.

This is the 4th gh I have built. I am very happy with the construction. We left things pretty open so as to experiment with ventilation. This big top gathers a lot of heat . Luckily we accounted for that as we are in a fairly mild climate of Nothern San Diego county about 7 air miles from the Eastern Pacific coast. About 95% of our days we get off shore breezes in the brighter part of the days.

the end from which the prevailing sea breeze enters is shown in this image capture. We have made it so that it is has removable panels to capture the breezes in warm weather. It works well, but on the really hot days when there is no breeze the temperatures get very hot - 110F.

We specialize in Echeverias whose leaf color and form makes or breaks the plant appearance. The bright light brings out the most desirable characteristics of these species. Many of them come from the high mountains where there are no clouds to speak of very often and they are used to full bright sunlight. They are often burnt looking in full sun here. We have not gotten any leaf burn and we are getting heretofore unseen positive effects on plant color and form.

they can take the heat, but idealy they would like it at 78 degrees F. with dry air. So we will have to add about 40% shade cloth. Probably will put on slide cables inside so they can be drawn only on the predicted hot days. Swamp cooling is not a very good option as it would promote fungal infection which with all the oak fungii around the area is not a good thing.

bob
:>)

Thumbnail by thistlesifter
Fulton, MO

Hi Bob.

Nice looking greenhouse. I like the idea of shade cloth inside on slide cables. I have my Aluminet suspended inside on a frame so that it can easily be moved up and down on a daily basis if needed.

Light diffusion is an underappreciated aspect of greenhouse construction and growing. It improves photosynthesis, decreases plant height, decreases internodal stretch, reduces leaf burn. That is something I need to address in my glass greenhouse.

More pics would be welcome.

SB

Vista, CA

This is a view of an adjoining section. This is 95 foot view (the longest length) from within the GH.

This image was captured in mid-January 2007.

These plants have benefitted from the very bright light that has 100% diffused ultraviolet rays. (The greener plants in the middle foreground have been added from an outdoor shade location just a few days before the image was captured. their color has improved dramatically in the 2 weeks since image captured.) Most winter and spring days we expect the temperatures to hover at near optimum growing range with minimal air moving equipment. Beginning in early July we will have 40% shade cloth under the laminate in the sunniest parts of the GH (about 1800' now) with the roof pitched toward the SSE skies.

We got a little behind schedule, and this w/e will be completing a 16'x16' propagation room. Will post pictures of it after we finish the concrete tables this weekend.

bob

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 3:04 AM

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 3:08 AM

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 6:03 AM

Vista, CA

This is a view from about 2/3 of the length looking the opposite direction.

The slope on roof covering this section is toward ENE. These plants get just the right amount of light to keep them pretty and lush enough to easily accomodate vegetative propagation. (The only way these cultivars can be faithfully propagated is by cuttings).

The laminate seen on the side here is clear, permitting veiw of the hillside planters from within. The wall is open to the outside from the table-tops to the floor. The open area has worked as designed to allow cool air flow sliding down the hill from the back to enter the GH and as it heats it rises and is vented at the top part of the roof along the full lenth of the back wall which is opaque.

This really works. I have leaned out of window in the second floor wall of the adjoining house to the south of this structure and the air is very warm and rising from the vent that runs the length. Sometimes in the heat of the summer it is necessary to turn on big fans (purchased from Homeless Depot) to move the air up when the air outside and the air inside are the same temp. Usually though, the air is warmed inside by the light interaction and that differential temperature is all it takes to keep a constant airflow upwards. Often we can open a door from the house leading into this part and fresh sea breez is drawn from within the house's open windows on the west side and into the GH where it too is added into the fresh air mix.

bob

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 3:40 AM

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 3:41 AM

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 6:09 AM

This message was edited Feb 2, 2007 6:09 AM

Parkville, MD

How is the propigation room coming along?? I have been itching to start a greenhouse project.. Z

Vista, CA

Well we were able to move stuff in so at least we got to a semi-finished state. Here's an image of the outsized row of tables. These are setup
to accomodate 19" nursery flats or multiples the wider tables will take 3 flats, the tables alongside the outside walls are about 21" wide.

Tables are made to drain down the back to one end where a drain is built into the floor.

before next winter the inside (in part), will be covered to retain warmth for winter seed operation.

bob

Vista, CA

view from other end.

tables on both sides

bob

Vista, CA

ooops forgot the first end...

here it is

Vista, CA

another shot showing a prop mat keeps roots at optimum growth temp.

This table has a covered seed tray with super scarce cultivar seedlings. Will be moving them out in a few weeks.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2007 8:58 AM

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'm just drooling, Bob! I hope my tongue doesn't get stuck the the screen...lol.
:) Donna

Vista, CA

lol

bob

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.