Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: 6 month greenhouse project, 1 by thistlesifter

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright thistlesifter

Subject: 6 month greenhouse project

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of 6 month greenhouse project
thistlesifter wrote:
This a is an image capture of my current GH #2 as it was near completion.
This Gh has a total of over 1200 sf under SunTuf polymor glazed with a direct ray diffuser . It allows 85% light with 100% diffusion of direct sun rays. No leaf burn no matter how bright the sun and no direct ultraviolet.

This is the 4th gh I have built. I am very happy with the construction. We left things pretty open so as to experiment with ventilation. This big top gathers a lot of heat . Luckily we accounted for that as we are in a fairly mild climate of Nothern San Diego county about 7 air miles from the Eastern Pacific coast. About 95% of our days we get off shore breezes in the brighter part of the days.

the end from which the prevailing sea breeze enters is shown in this image capture. We have made it so that it is has removable panels to capture the breezes in warm weather. It works well, but on the really hot days when there is no breeze the temperatures get very hot - 110F.

We specialize in Echeverias whose leaf color and form makes or breaks the plant appearance. The bright light brings out the most desirable characteristics of these species. Many of them come from the high mountains where there are no clouds to speak of very often and they are used to full bright sunlight. They are often burnt looking in full sun here. We have not gotten any leaf burn and we are getting heretofore unseen positive effects on plant color and form.

they can take the heat, but idealy they would like it at 78 degrees F. with dry air. So we will have to add about 40% shade cloth. Probably will put on slide cables inside so they can be drawn only on the predicted hot days. Swamp cooling is not a very good option as it would promote fungal infection which with all the oak fungii around the area is not a good thing.

bob
:>)