thunbergia grandiflora

Albrightsville, PA(Zone 4a)

Has anyone had success rooting cuttings? Should I put them directly in a rooting medium or root in water? Any tips?
Pam

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I stuck some in baking soda water about a week ago and they have roots about an inch long.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I just take cuttings of all the thunbergia I have and root them in soil that I keep wet. Takes a week or two

Do the Black eyed susan vines root from cuttings too?
How much baking soda in the water?
I'm terrible, I try to save everything for the winter -lol
Pam

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I use a 4 ounce juice glass with just a small pinch of soda to keep the bacteria at bay. I have the glass itself in another pot to keep the rooting area dark, and the cuttings in bright northern light. I root everything at room temp.

Mobile, AL

The Thunbergia Grandiflora roots easily in a good soiless mix. I have used rooting hormone, but do not think it is necessary as long as you keep the media moist. They grow huge very quickly and will bloom the first year from cuttings and magnificantly after that. The vine is herbaceous here and will root through the pot into the ground if not careful. It has HUGE roots.

Since they have large leaves, it will help to cut off the outermost 2/3rds of the upper leaves.

The Blackeyed Susan vine is very different and is most easily grown from seed, but I'm sure cuttings will do well also. I just haven't tried it. They are a more tender, MUCH smaller vine, so you may have to cover the cutting with a plastic ziploc to make sure it doesn't die before it has a chance to root.

Thanks. I'm going to try both. My black-eyed susan vine did not start blooming until just a few weeks ago. I don't know if there will be time for seeds to ripen, but I'll keep watch and try cuttings too.
Pam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.