red spider lilies

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

these pop up in our yard every year and i just love them! they are such a surprise! they are blooming for me today : )

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

another one

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies
Midway, GA

hi! I'm new here but i saw these pics and they are beautiful flowers. i just got one of them today!!!! so excited!!!!! they are spider lillies aren't they?
Rachel

Thomson, GA

Aren't they the coolest things?? I picked up my daughter at her house for church this morning and saw that she had some blooming, too, unbeknownst to her. She said she and hubby are going to be cleaning out that bed next weekend so Mom gets to adopt the spider lilies! YEA!!!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

they are amazing flowers! so cool because they pop up so suddenly and have no leaves just these unique blooms.

kelly

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful! Bloomin' out this way now too.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Aren't they fun ~ Naked Ladies! A bittersweet reminder that summer is past...

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I have some Naked Ladies coming up for the first time this year. They are really beautiful!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i think i lost the few i have. i cant seem to find them here to buy agian so i guess i will look online. anyonme know a good source?

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

maybe someone who has a lot can share with you. try asking on the plant trading forum. i have had soooooo many generous dg members share with me there. hopefully by next fall i will have some to share with others.

kelly

When they are done blooming, the foliage will appear. Like all bulbs, the foliage will gather nutrients for the bulbs. This will make them bloom and delight us next fall. Don't mow the foliage or the bulbs won't come back. That has destroyed many of the heirloom bulbs over the years. Lost to the mower... ((grimace))

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Mine has little seeds forming. Will they become viable if I leave them on the stalk? If so, I can share them with people.

Cordele, GA

Pins,
They don't usually set seed. Most of the books I have read claim that the old form is sterile. It would be interesting to see if you get viable seed.

Imzadi,

Mine have an off year when they don't bloom. Look for foliage in October. I fed all my beds pretty heavily this spring while the Lycoris foliage was still green and I have the best bloom ever for both the fall and spring blooming specie. If you don't find foliage, d-mail me and I will share. If you do find foliage feed them up. Mine have been gorgeous this month.

Beth

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

A nice member here shared some with me! I hope to have blooms very soon. They are one of my fave fall flowers because I remember them growing in my mom's yard when I was a kid. My dad says they still bloom for him.
Great pics!!!!

Susan

Mine has also set seed but I have never harvested or planted.

Greensboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I am so glad to see this thread. WE see these here in Greensboro, GA, popping up in strange places and nobody knew what they are...this is great!

thanks

I just went to a small neighboring town today and these were all over the place. Odd though, mostly on vacant lots and abandon home places. I guess where the foilage is mowed, the Naked Ladies don't get the nutrients they need to return.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

i have been lucky with these as they have been here for a long time i expect. they were here when we moved here and every year my husband mows them down after bloom. he almost mowed them down when they had buds as he didn't know what they were : 0 i stopped him just in time! mine luckily recover to bloom again. i am not sure how. if anyone has pictures of yours please share. mine have finished blooming now.

kelly

Macon, GA(Zone 8a)

Lycoris radiata ... a wonderful plant with a very narrow growing range. Lots of people in the US can grow spider lilies, but these red ones are only found in a restricted set of zones. They grow well here in Middle Georgia.

Thumbnail by Alan_Taylor
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

yours are so pretty with that ivy in the background! i love how they just magically pop up. aren't we lucky they grow here?

kelly

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i cant find any of mine. maybe the voles got them?? i had about 10 and now nothing not even foliage.

Macon, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, kelly. I admit, I was rather pleased with how this photo came out--so much so that I had to share it.

Imzadi, it may depend on how the plant's foliage fared last year. The foliage on these is coming out right about now. Over the winter, the bulb will gather energy (through the foliage) for next year's bloom. If last year's foliage didn't fare well, the bulb may be just taking a "year off," so to speak. Mine did that once when I ran over the foliage with a lawnmower, not knowing what it was. Or, as you point out, it could be voles, chipmunks, or another burrowing rodent. I wouldn't give up on them yet, though.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

And they spread like crazy. I put 4 in a pot and the next year had 25.
Imzadi I will include a few for you when I send the confederate rose cutting if yours doesn't make it. LMK

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

nice pict! i can't get enough of these. hey georgiaredclay you aren't all that far from me. i live in heard county.

kelly

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I planted 6 of these,in hopes of seeing them bloom,back in july,but no bloom,just foilage.My question is;what did I do wrong.I planted late july,around 4" deep,in soil that was prepared for bedding plants,and the foilage just started to come up in the middle of Oct.Is this normal ? Will I get the red flowers next september,or is this a bad sign. Mike

Mike, I suspect the foliage is now storing the nutrients for the bloom next fall. I think it is a good sign, the bulbs are thriving and will deliver well for you in the years ahead.

Cordele, GA

Imzadi, mine are just beginning to put up foliage now. You may still find them. When you do locate them, feed them up. They multiply readily by bulb division.

Did any one get seed? Mine had what looked like pods maturing, then began to dry off. All I had were air pods with no mature seed.

Beth

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Should we fertilize them now?

Cordele, GA

I put out time release like osmacote and scratch it into the soil. As far as I know the winter growing leaves are what feeds the bulbs and sets them for that long dormancy. I have had good luck doing this and great increase by off sets. I usually feed again when the weather warms up prior to the disappearence of the leaves, broad casting over the whole bed and later top dressing with manure to build up the soil.

I really enjoy bulbs. They are almost magical to me.

Beth

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i think the voles got them. them little buggers have been bad this season. read somewhere they like them. they also liked my ipherions too. my cats are lazy. hehe

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have about 400 and I never fertilize mine. Just let them spread.
Mike you probably will have blooms next year.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jim, I just don't know what happens to the ones you've give me?? They just don't come up or something?? Some plants like me some don't... Just like people. :)

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Susan after Christmas I will send you some while the foilage is out. I think the other times it has just been bulbs. And you know everyone likes you.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

All that matters is that you do :)

Susan

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

You done made my day. I got a job.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

YEAAAAAAAAA!! Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Susan

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

These do better left unfertilized.. Just let them naturalize.. Mine reseed all over the place on their own..

Larkie

Hi Larkie! I have heard you don't need to fertilize these guys. But not to mow the foliage either as that is where they get their nutrients for next years blooms. Mine were meager this year. I don't mow the foliage and unless it was our dry, dry summer I don't know why they didn't bloom well.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have them to pop up in the strangest places each year.. Hope Your's do better next year.. They are a beautiful flower..Have you ever seen the yellow (golden) one? I ordered 2 bulbs a few years ago..They bloomed last year for the first time.. Haven't seen any reseeds of them yet..I keep hoping.

Larkie

I'll bet the gold ones are pretty. I love these when they naturalize and come up all over the place. Makes us grateful to be alive to appreciate nature!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.