Schizostylis

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Does anyone collect Schizostylis at all?????

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia
Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

ooooooo..........just what I needed, another plant to lust after!

plantnutga

Hahahahahaha awwwwwwwww sorry!!!!
isn't it gorgeous though?? just came into flower today!!

Mark

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

It is absolutely gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing it!

You are welcome.............

Shame you dont live nearer............... i would send you some............ i have quite a few different varieties of Schizostylis!!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

my loving husband got a little nervous- he walked into the room and i was purring....

do they set seeds?

hahahahahahahahaha you were purring??????????????????????? That made me really really smile!!
What did he say to you???

Yes they do set seed...................... but take about 2 - 3 years to flower!!

Mark

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I have the red and the pink, a friend says she has the white and will share but she keeps forgetting. I really love those things, mine will bloom all the way till Jan and sometimes Feb and I get a bloom or two all year long. I love them. That one looks two toned, is it? If so then I have to go looking for that one, I think I need all colors.
Rebecca

Hi Rebeccanne

There are lots of pinks between red and pink............ there is one called pink princess that is a very light shade of pink..... it is gorgeous!!! Yes Red Dragon is kinda two toned....
Another nice one is Strawberry!!

I this country they flower from now until nearly christms.......

Mark

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Anyway to get seeds of those colors? Here no one seems to grow them much, they are so easy, I have huge clumps of the red and pink, don't know the names. They do put on lots of seed if anyone would like seed, I can save seed off mine.
rebecca

Hey Rebeccanne

I just let them spread...................they form little bulblets............ so so easy to grow.
I am amzed they are not widely available over there.............. they are such pretty little plants!!!

Its a shame you gon't know the varieties Rebeccanne.........

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Here the people call them "kaffir lily". They are so easy to grow, I have no idea the varieties I have. Of course I would like more if I could find them. Mine also reseed very well. Well maybe someday I will find some of the other colors....
Rebecca

Maybe i should collect some seed for you and send you some...................!!!!

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I would LOVE that. And I can send you some seed of something. If you let me know what you like I do have lots of seed. And we are close to the same zone....wanna trade?
Rebecca
Do you have any interesting dierama???

Hi Rebeccanne

Dierama................. no, i dont have any of that!!!!
If you want some Schizostylis............. i will send you some............ you dont have to trade!! I will be happy to know that the seed has gone to someone that cares! May even send you bits of the plant rather than the seed.......... that way you will have some to play with!! LOL
Email me your name and address.............. markfox2001@ntlworld.com

Mark

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

It sure looks like a Watsonia. I collected seeds for the first time this year, but I haven't done anything with them yet

Watsonia is lovely..................... but for some reason i keep losing them!! So i have given up on them now!

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

Hey Mark,
Watsonia is very easy and the only problem I know of it that people water it. Do not water it! We have it here growing in the sand dunes in the dry sand and it does great. People often complain that it won't flower and I have to tell them DON'T water, then it blooms. So if you have a nice dry area, or for me, the area the hose won't reach, thats the spot.
Rebecca

I will have to try Watsonia some time.........

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

You guys are so lucky, you get to grow all the really cool plants in your zones. Mark your Schizostylis is beautiful

Robin

Hi Robin

Thank you............................. yes we are very lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I bought a 4 inch pot of schizostylis a few years ago, split it into two sections, and they are taking over the garden in both areas. I am constantly trying to pull them out, but they send out so many bulblets that I can't get rid of them. Anyone who lives near the Sacramento area is welcome to contact me if they want some. Mark and Rebecca and other schizostylis growers - do you have any thrip-like symtoms in your plants? Mines is starting to show signs of streaking on the leaves and slightly deformed flowers - the same malady that affected my gladiolus. I had to give up growing them because I did not want to have to spray to keep the thrips in check.

Dianne

Dianne

Thrips are easy to get rid of...................... make a garlic solution and spray them!!!!!

All you do is boil some cloves of garlic, leave them to cool down, mash them through a sieve and add the water to a watering can with just water in it.
I guarantee they wont be there again..................

Mark

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Mark - thanks so much for that information. Spraying garlic juice is something that I don't mind doing. Too bad I pulled out all of my gladiolus bulbs and started to pull out my Gladiolus callianthus, which was exhibiting the same symptoms. How often do you have to spray the garlic juice and when? Before the bulbs break surface?

spray the whole area just as things start popping through the soil.......... you only need do it the once!! Keeps away all insects............. plus slugs and snails etc......

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

soilsandup, you have dmail. Thank you. Elaine

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow them--I love the fact they bloom while little else is. I do keep them pretty wet too; but that's a given here in the winter. Mine are blooming now and have been for about a month. Another thing I like about them is, compared to other Hesperantha's I've grown around here, they bloom in the day and not at night. But they won't open if the sun doesn't shine.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

dmj........................ what variety is that one????????????

Mark

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

just species Hesperantha occinea (what used to be known as Schizostylis coccinea)

I have some supposedly pink ones going, started from seed--they haven't bloomed yet--so one never really knows until they bloom. Otherwise they look the same.
Debbie

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Just discovered this lovely thread. Beautiful Schizostylis Crocosmia and djm!
I only have two types from which i know only the name of one that hasn't flowered yet 'Mrs.Hegarty'.
The other one I bought many years ago without a tag.
This is it;

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

another pic.;

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

and a close-up;

Thumbnail by bonitin

Debbie

I have a small collection of Schizostylis....... around 16 varieties, trust me, they don't all look the same.

Bonitin

First of all i thought it was Alba but now not sure as it has a pink tinge to it.......... looks very much like pink princess!!!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Yes, it is strange, Crocosmia, but some are very very pale pink that show white when photographed in the sun, but you can still see the pinkish tone in the but, and some of the flowers have these faint pinkish dots on it like in the last pic.
I also thought it could be pink princess, but then when I looked at the pics. in PF these have more rounded petals, mine are more star-like...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/170883/

True...................... maybe when you look up close at Alba, it may not be totally white....... i will have to take a photo of my alba and see if it shows any pink! I will let you know on that one!

Mark

This is my Pink Princess........

This one is called Strawberry................ sooooooooooooo pretty

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

wow, I've never seen these, only read a little! Strawberry is awesome and the 1st one , too.... how large are the blooms?

The blooms aren't all that large.......... maybe 2 or 3 inches at the most!!
But the good thing is they flower twice a year, spring and late autumn!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.